Isaac or anyone who knows technical stuff please respond

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3140
ok heres my story I was hoping you could help us solve a couple of these mysteries.

1...why is this box so sloppy in car?
2 why did this box only straighten out when i set the crossover almost all the way up?
3 why is sq junkies cones getting so hot?
4 Is it possible this box caused my alternator to fry from some deeper electronic priniciples other than too much amp draw which shouldnt have been the problem?

Ps. I read your thread on ABC boxes and built my on with plans from winisd. WoW!!! 145.3db from 2 10" woofers!! I'm not 100% sure what the air space is since I all I did was get the measurements and put the box togeather Ill have to look that up. The frequency of the first chamber is 33hz I think the second is like 48hz. The woofers are mtx 9500's and Im using a Hifonics xx Hercules amp at 2 ohms. The only problem I have is when I do turn it way up the motor on the subs get incredibly hot. Im kindof scared to turn it up for more than about a minute.

my reply

Sq junky...what size ports width and length wise do you have internal and I can figure out what size box you do have? Also what frequncy did you hit that spl at? The voice coils getting hot like that makes me think two things as a possibility one...box rise is low at certain frequencies and your getting more than you think rms wise to those voice coils or two....your moving the subs so much that they are over their limit xmax wise and unable to cool the voice coils sufficiently. I found that once I got my abc box in the car that the sq wasnt very good for me either until I set my crossover very heavily (almost all the way up) and its an 18 db per octave electronic cross over. Their is definately strong points to these boxes but design flaws as well. Im not sure if I love or hate these boxes now?

question..why is this box so sloppy but straightens out very nicely with the crossover set that strong? I also fried my alternator while using this abc box with two tangband 6.5s with 140 rms at 8 ohms in a 1990 nissan sentra xe the box was tuned to 32 hz first chamber and 45 hz second chamber. I wonder if this box somehow helped fry my alternator because heres my story on that.

I was playing test tones on my subs with a whopping 140 rms and I see this puff puff from the front of my car. It was raining so I figured ahh its just heat from the fan no big deal. So I crank the spl up on a strong test tone and i get so high volume wise and the amp goes to die but resurges and I turn it down. Nerxt thing I know the car starts making like mild grinding noises and starts running rough. I finishing going through the burger king drive thru and head straight home and the car all the while running a little rough and making that smae mild noise. I figure or at least hope its just the alternator and not something internal in the motor. The wierd thing is I bought the car from my cousin and he told me a when he got it on the road like 2 yars ago the alternator had been replaced so I figured ahh alternator will be fine if I put the 140 watt amp on it. Anyhow its a 1990 nissan sentra xe and i was told it had a 60 amp alternator and with every system thats been in it the lights pretty much never dimmed even slightly. I figure its a cheap reman job by pep boys where he bought the alternator. Am I right guys?

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 259
Did you post this on Team Toxic Bass's forum also? or was it Apocalypse?

http://toxicforum.com/view_topic.php?id=59&forum_id=1

Gold Member

Post Number: 3144
apocalpse posted it but I wrote it up

Gold Member

Post Number: 3145
how did you find this knacko? LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 3146
how did you know it was me or apaocolypse at all knacko?

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 260
I read it here first, and then went to TTBF and saw it there. I loked at the user who posted it and I knew there was someone with the username Addicted2Bass on here. Just looked around and found Apocalypse with that name.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3155
oh ok

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3433
Sean, I'd test the alternator first before doing anything else. I replied to your post under amps.
60A doesn't give you much room to play with. That was the norm in the past. Nowdays, they have increased the load to 75A. Even that isn't much, but still much better than 60A.
You do know that I am the one telling everyone to stay away from cheap amps right? Hifonics is one of them. They are good for LOW budget setups only. I rate them lower then MTX amps. Personally I don't understand why so many people love them. They are just cheap amps with high power numbers. I bet none of them will actually produce the rated power without killing your car/subs.
You mention the subs getting very hot. That is a sign of your amp distorting/clipping. When an amp clips, it will sound almost 2x louder. Instead of getting a sine wave, you're getting chopped off square waves. Very bad for VCs, they won't get enough time to cool down. Eventually it WILL burn them out.
If you don't like your subs, then keep using the Hifonics amp. If not, I'd strongly suggest getting a better amp. At least get an MTX. If you have more cash, then Orion/Zapco/Xtant/JL etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us