Quick question

Bronze Member
Username: Cooldudejz

Post Number: 15
would 2 phoenix gold X1200.1 power 2 re 12inch x x x well?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 365
It would be ok, but in reality you are 400 watts rms short of the rms of that sub. I think that it would work though, considering you have 2 of them. That is going to be frickin loud!

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 333
naw, he's cool. that 1600 watt thing is just a thermal rating. i.e., the point at which your VC will fry. 1200 watts is actually optimal for that sub.
with my brahmas, i could either push 400watts/sub or 1600watts/sub, and they have the same 1600w rms. the techs at adire were doing backflips to get me to run 400watts/sub (i'm not into underpowering subs either, LOL).
800-1200 watts would do very nicely.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 373
Mike are you sure? It says on Resonants site that sub is 1600 wrms/2500 watts max. Why would they put a rms rating at which the VC will melt?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 336
this is the exact reason that adire changed the rms of their subs, brahmas in particular. it's a great bragging right, but pretty impractical.
here is the low down as per Adire, founder of the XBL2 tech in XXX:
"Power Handling
Power handling of Brahma is rated at 1600W continuous, 4800W peak. This was rated with the
IEC 268-5 ratings method, which uses a band-limited test signal with a 6 dB crest factor. The
subwoofer is powered with a signal meeting the IEC 268-5 criteria for 2 hours, with less than 3
dB of compression measured over that duration. The 1600W rating is NOT a steady-state sine
wave rating!
Note that the power handling is a THERMAL power handling rating! It is NOT a guarantee,
guideline, or recommendation on the amount of power actually needed or that can be
mechanically handled in a given box. The actual power required depends upon the application,
and the mechanical power handling is heavily dependent upon the box used. When in doubt, it's
best to err on the low side. Overpowering drivers is the surest way to kill them!"

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 376
Wow that is pretty stupid, IMO. They shouldn't say rms if it isn't rms. It's probably a way they don't have to honor your warranty or something! LOL.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 340
exactly. man, the number of blown subs to which they have turned down warranties is in the plenty. again, they have marked down that rms significantly to 600w rms.
to adire's defense though, they did provide a schematic for rms per box volume. a 1cu ft box required 800watts to effect xmax.
but, yeah, i'm glad they changed the rms rating, even though now they are significantly underated, lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us