Can 8 8" subs hit harder then 2 15" subs????

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 427
Hey, i was wondering what the answer to this question would be, because i am thinking about selling my 2 15" TDX's that i am way underpworing and going with some efficient 8's. 8 might be a little overkill, so what about 4 or 6 of them as well?

Bronze Member
Username: Kaos15th

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 61
well iheard somewhere that two 8" re sound like two twelves hittin i forgot where i saw it but i think i could be possible and i believe sean hit like 140 with his tangbangs that are 6.5 or 6" sumthing like that. before i thought diamond audios were cheap my first sub ever was a diamond i dont know what model it was but it hit hard with a punch 40.2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
I am thinking about going with 4-8 RE8's. I am really curious to see how that would sound in my monte carlo. I think i could put 4 in the back part of the trunk and 2 more on each side of the trunk. I think it would look really cool as well. Plus they are only like 50 dollars apeice, so that would only be 400 for subs if i get 8 of them. My TDX's are worth well over that price, so i should be able to afford it once i can sell them. I just wanna make sure that they would sound good or not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
I would also have more room in my trunk with alot of 8's then the 2 15's prob. MY BOX IS FREAKING HUGE IN MY TRUNK!!!

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 121
no it won't hit harder than 2 15" because of surface area. A 15" is like having a 12" and a 10" in one package. A 15" will outdo 8's...especially on the low end.

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
I realize that it will outdo them on the low end but i do want it to be more punchy. How could 8 8" subs not be louder the only 2 15's??

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
surface area...people don't realize how much of a difference it is...it will have better sound quality...db wise, you probably won't hit what the 2 15's could hit. but they will still be punchy with 8 speakers

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 613
8 8" subs - 401.92^2in.
2 15" subs - 353.25^2in.

the 8s will have more surface area. but there are more factors than that when it comes to spl.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 614
oh yea for further reference its PI(r^2). So 3.14(4^2) for the 8s and 3.14(7.5^2) for the 15s.

Bronze Member
Username: Big_ed

Post Number: 54
a buddy of mines uncle owns a shop and there was a basketball players escelade there with 12 8inch w7s but i didnt get to hear it.

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 34
If someone doesn't know how to calculate the surface area of a circle, than they should just leave right now.

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 35
Surface area is the whole reason why kicker invented the square sub. You get a ton more surface area from what they call a 12" sub (12" on each side) than you do from a round sub with a 12" diameter. 144 in^2 to 113 in^2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
It's the surface area of a cone, not just a circle...A 15"'s cone height is usually higher than an 8"...that's what makes it so much larger. Then factor in more x-max on top of that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us