Powering 2 subs with one amp....

Username: Maveric

Post Number: 1
I had all my stereo equipment stolen from my car this weekend, and I need to plan out my new setup. I was pretty happy with my Sony Xplod setup I had before so I was planning on doing the same thing. The only problem is I don't think the largest amp will supply both subs. I was planning on getting 2 XS-L122P5 subs (12" 380 RMS - 1300 max 4ohms), but I don't think 1 XM-SD61X (1400 max - 300 RMS @ 4ohms) can fully power both subs. I am correct in thinking that hooking 2 subs to a mono amp will cut the RMS and max in half right? To power both subs I would need about 760 RMS and 2600 max in a single mono amp correct? If I bought the dual voice coil subs would it help?

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 166
dont get sony i had a similar set up and mine too got stolen and i upgraded to alpine type r's and a jbl amp and it is amaizing 100x better so do yourself a favor and upgrade.

Post Number: 2
Doesn't really answer my question, but thanks.

Post Number: 3
Anyone else?

Post Number: 4
Please anyone?

DUB
Unregistered guest
Mike, I also have a sony system, but I have 2 XS-L121P5. Buy this amp the, XM-DS1600P5, it is 900RMS X1 @2ohms. If you use this amp both are your subs will get the power they need. This is a good amp, has remote bass control.

Post Number: 5
So the 2 subs wired together will make 2ohms? It doesn't really have to be Sony, I am open to just about any thing, I just wanted to know how to properly match the subs and amp. And thanks on showing me that amp, I hadn't seen it before.

DUB
Unregistered guest
Yes this amp looks like its 2 channels, but really you just connect pos to pos and neg to neg on the amp to subs to get 2 ohms. Are your subs 4 ohm SVC?

Post Number: 7
Yes those are 4 ohm SVC. My next question is would I be able to use 2 4ohm DVC subs, and still be able to get 2ohms?

Post Number: 8
Also, would the XM-DS1600P5 be capable of 1ohm?

Bronze Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 12
No you cant wire 2 4ohm dvc and get 2 ohm you can either get 4 or 1 you get 1 by wiring in paralell/parallel and you get 4 by wiring in series parallel
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/#1dvcs
check the link it explains all

DUB
Unregistered guest
Yes the xm-ds1600p5 is 1 ohm stable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us