Too much to handle?

Username: Halby

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 4
I was wondering if an MTX Thunder 801D: 400x1 RMS at 4 ohm will be too much for my car too handle as is? I will be running it to a Perfect 12.1.

I have never had an amp before and I wasn't sure how much a car's stock electrical system can handle before you need other equipment to help out.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 724
It will be drawing around 57 amperes. Most cars put out around 60-70 amperes if i'm not mistaken. And you also have to consider the car needs about 20 to run,so in essence, you would be pushing it.

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 5
So what should I do to protect my car? I know that capacitors are an option, but I don't know enough about them to make a good buy. Any suggestions on a capacitor or otherwise.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 518
Capacitors won't help your charging system, they will only make your problems worse by causing more draw on your alternator.
The answer to the problem is to get a high output alternator that can handle the draw. I would almost say you won't need a new alternator for that much draw since you'll only be drawing the full amperage at 100%.

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 25
you definately need a capacitor for you amp's sub, but it won't help you charge system, it only help your amp when your system hit the low bass and you amp require more juice.

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 83
stock alternators have very little as far as having extra amps that the car doesn't need. Though your amp is not a real heavy draw on it, it's still in excess of what your alternator can put out.

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 8
if I use a 250RMS thats what about 20 more amps...then do you think its ok to leave as is?

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 9
I wont be hitting quite as hard but it should still be good b/c the Perfect 12.1 is listed as 75-350 RMS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us