Building System Need Help please

Username: Dirky

Post Number: 1
Ok, here's the deal. I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier crew cab (4 door) and don't have much room for subs so I'm going with the Kicker solobaric L7 8" subs (2 of em) and I'm going to build a custom box to go behind the back seat. I'll be hooking a MMATS D100HC amp to these running at 1 ohm (I think 1 ohm, not too educated on this part). Also, I have a component set of Infinity Kappa Perfects (6.5") for the front and a pair of 5.25" coax Infinity Kappa's for the back. I don't have an amp for these yet.

My questions are - whats a good amp for the components and the coaxs? I was looking at a MMATS SQ4070 (70x4) but am not sure on the quality of their sq amps.
Also, will I run into any power problems once all this is hooked up and is there anything I can do/buy to fix it before it happens?

And any other suggestions that may occur to anyone are welcomed.

Any help is very appreciated :-)

Username: Earl

Lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 7
sounds like you have a lot of dough. If you could fit two 8's you could probably fit one 15 or a 12.Thats what i would do. I am not sure which speakers because i do not know the specifications of your amp, i know you are bridging it to 1 ohm is your amp one ohm stable? As for you coax what is ther ratings, have you hooked them up to your stock system? What do they sound like. I d say that that amp sounds okay i am not sure of how acurate the actually statings are of that amp.

Post Number: 2
Well I have to do 2 8's because of space limitations and the solobarics fit in .33 cubic foot boxes. That size box will just barely sqeeze behind the backseat of my 2001 Frontier. The mmats amp is definately 1 ohm stable.

As for the coax's and the components, I went ahead and picked up a Autotek SX480 (75x4) because I got a good deal on it and it's supposed to be a pretty decent brand. The components are rated around 150W rms and the coaxes are rated at 75W rms if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure I've got everything I need component wise for my system. When it's finished I'll have a MMATS D100HC amp pushing (2) 8" Solobaric S8L7's (DVC 4ohm) in (2) .34cubic foot sealed enclosures. An Autotek SX480 pushing a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5" components and a set of Infinity Kappa 5.25" coaxials. Tied together with a Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP cd deck. The only thing I have left to do is build the box (first time trying that one ;) ) and to get it all installed. Hopefully everything will work out fine and sound good. We'll see :-)

Thanks for replying btw, if anyone see's anything in here I should be concerned about please don't hesitate to post it.

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 72
You'll probably want to upgrade your electrical system with a HO (high output) alternator, as well as upgrading the important wires in your hood. As for your amp selection, MMATS is a good brand. You should also check out the 75x4 tube amp made by US Amps.

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 73
damn, took too long in posting. Sounds like you'll have a nice setup.

Post Number: 4
That's the one thing I was worried about is the alternator. The guys at my local car audio shop say I don't need to worry about it, but I have a feeling I will. I'm not very good with all the technical aspects of electrical systems in cars or anywhere else for that matter, so I guess I'll have to get it all installed and hope for the best. I looked up a replacement alternator for my truck and it was rated at 80 amps. Do you think that will be enough or do you not have enough info to tell?

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 76
That doesn't sound like a high output alternator. Most cars have stock alternators that put out more current than that. Look in the "accessories" forum, you'll be able to find some resources there that will help you find an alternator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us