Experienced fiber glass installers

Username: Hemiboy

Post Number: 3
I hope this isnt a double post. I just posted somewhere and donno where it went. Anyways I have to built a custom box out of fiber glass. I dont think it will be to hard and I can get real creative with it. Anyone have any must know tips for glassing a box? I have an 05 Dodge Ram QC and the box Im using now has a mere .68 cu in airspace. Must have more for my subs. Right now they sound like snare drums. Before anyone ask's me, Yes I stuffed it. I stuffed it with some really dense stuffing but didn't help.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 406
hmm.. what subs? whats powering them?.. "I dont think it will be to hard" hehe dont say that it can get frusterating.. have u built a fibreglass box before(just asking)??... just make sure you do enough layers i guess .. 6-7 is usaully adequate.. make sure u saturate the matting all the way through because its tough to tell sometimes roll out all air bubbles in the matting .. use a really small paint roller ... the kind with the sponge roller that works well.. but list the subs and stuff so we can find out the best size to make the box.. ( a picture of the area the box is going would be cool to :-) )

Post Number: 6
Sure thing. I'll post pictures tomarrow. I was planning to glass the whole bottom of my truck (You'll see what I mean in the pics) and build it up from there. Nope I have never used plexi for anything but I have been doing my homework. Heres what Im running...

Subs - 2 x Kenwood KFC-XW1002DVC 10" Dual 2-ohm Voice Coil

Amps - 2 x Kenwood KAC-8152D 550w rms each at 2 ohms running one each to one each sub.

Yeah its Kenwood, The first thing I bought was a deck. Started out alpine and was gonna match all. I didnt like alpines line up this year so i got a kenwood deck KDC-x789 and to stay in tune with the rest I got the subs/amps. (I'm mental that way);)_

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 113
i hope you made some fiberglass boxes before because me and my friend tried to make one and lets just say that for all that time wasted it didnt turn out too hot..although eventually we did get it right...lol

Post Number: 7
Oh,and thanx for the tips! I'll keep posting pics of my progress.

Post Number: 8
I've heard that 6 - 7 layers is the norm, just like you stated. Question on that though is do you put the fiber mat on before each layer? Or wait till it dries then apply a new layer right on top of it?

Post Number: 10
OK here are some pics. Please tell me your best guess on how much ari space I can get if I glass this right. I plan to glass everything I possibly can. You can see the Two wells that my subs sit in now. The box is .68 per chamber and fits loosly in the wells. I think the manufacturer could have made it bigger. I honestly belive I can get atleast 1.5 or 1 cu ft at min. I would even go up the back of the seats if I have to. Now I cant make up my weather I should keep these subs or go with some kicker l7 10". Cause once its glassed then ITS glassed.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
A few more. Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I think I finally understand why you guys say bump lol..... BTW can you port a fiber box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ok, I guess I still dont understand why you guys say bump. i thought it would make your post the first one so ppl will read it but.........

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
DOH!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Any rules I should know about when it comes to bumping? ;)

Waiting on Mark S to reply.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 409
do your seats fold right over top of the subs? if yes im asuming u want to keep it that way? .. sorry im working rediculous hours lately

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 410
il try and get u some pics tomorrow to of some fibreglass things and il have a better post lol i have to go to bed to go to work D:

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
OK bro thanx! Yeah my seats sit right on top of my subs so I was gonna glass a "lip" and sink the sub down a little. Maybe angle it towards the front. Is it possible to make a mold an sell my "custom box" to other dodge owners!!! Kiddin.
I think this will work. In case you missed it, can you port a fiber box? and do I put fiber mat on every layer?

Bronze Member
Username: Kaos15th

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 62
lol hemi do those subs hit hard those lokk like 6x9 boxes from the bottom.. i just purchased a ram 1500 too about a month ago but mines a 1994 lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
The "can" hit hard i just dont have a proper box for them. Kenwood did it right with these IMO. Oversized 10's they look like 12's. lol Keep watching man I'm gonna post pics of my progress. This will be my first glass job so if it works you can glass one two!

*due to my box I have to play it like 1/4 volume. But when it hits it hits hard even without the right box (air space req) Deep, Low bass, just like a 12 but also has punch and can keep up with tool like a 10. Kinda weird. I listen to perfect circle and gorillaz Sh*t like that. I'm running 550w rms to each sub and cant see what they'll really do yet. I love my Ram but DAM! cant a bruther get a box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Ok, i see the contradication. They sound like snare drums when I jump on the volume knob ;)
At low volumes it does sound amazing but I didnt spend my money to listen to it at low volumes!

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 411
ok i see ... with the mat layering question.. i t depends on what resin u buy .. some dont rquire sanding inbetween coats some do so it might be a good idea anyway... u can do multiple layers at once.. but your probably not gonna wanna do more than 1 the first time....the thing with doing multiple layers is if i miss some air bubbles on the layer underneath it gets pretty hard to get them out.. u can port a fibreglass box yeh.. but with the amount of room u have to work with it might be pretty tough to work that in, and with a fibreglass box with all the curves and contours it would be extremely difficult to get the porting right.. btw your only running 275 w rms to each sub if there hooked up at 2 ohms... are you set on this fibreglass idea or would u go for building a new MDF mox for the subs?? a box similar to the one there u could probably port and an mdf box would be alot easier to construct.. also do u have the thiel\small specs for those subwoofers? so we can find out how big to make this box.. it would be in the subwoofer manual thingy if u still got it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I would do an mdf box if you think it will be better. I have no exp in box's. My amps are 1100w max 300w rms at 4ohm and 550w at 2ohm. I have my subs wired at 2ohm. I have two of these amps one under passenger and one under drivers side i just didnt take a pic of it. One to each sub. I'm trying to find the thiel/small specs. Be back with em as soon as I find them.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 415
ah i see

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
OK I'm stumped I have the tech sheet right in front of me but I dont see a thiel/small. What is it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
ok I found it, (I think)
Fs = 34 (resonance freq)
Qts = 0.38 (total Q)
Vas = 1.315 cu ft

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 419
got any more numbers ? :-)
Qes
Qms
xmax
sd (cone Area)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Qes = 0.42
Qms = 4.15
xmax = 6
sd 0.0380

But I'll have to glass the bottom anyways. No way I can cut wood to fit in there. Mayby I'll galss the bottom and attach mdf for the top. I need to counter sink my subs cause you can see they hit my seats so mdf is probably better for that.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 267
Even if you glass it, you won't gain much airspace. I can't see more than a .4 or .5cuft gain from the pics.

I've seen something else done for trucks, but the place that sold them seems to be gone, so I'll try to illustrate it the best I can.

Upload

It's just a quick sketch in paint, but it'll be easier to understand. Instead of having your seats mounted onto the back of the cab, they are instead mounted onto a hinged lid of the enclosure. The wooden tab things on the front of the seat will support it, and the subwoofers can breath (for lack of a better word). You can raise it all you want, until the passengers head start to hit the roof of course.

I'll look around a bit more and see if I can find an actual picture of them.

Bronze Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 59
Why dont you just make brackets to raise the bottom half of the seat. Thats what we did in my brothers F-150 raised it 2" made a huge difference. If I can get a pic I post so you can see how we did it. From the pics it looks like you would need 3 brackets 1 for eack spot they bolt down to the floor. We just used some angle iron.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Cool, so just the seat is raised? Not the back rest right.

Bronze Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 60
Yeah just the bottom.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Sounds like a winner! I'll go rip my seats out real quick. Thanks!

Bronze Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 62
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/lowdose/brackets.bmp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Cool mod, I just ripped my seats out and the way thses new seats are I would have to raise the whole thing as one peice. The back of my seats have a fastener that attaches to the back of my cab. If i raise it I lose some security for my kids or passengers. I am sol on raising it I think. But if you look at the pic< I can cut out all of that carpet. Might have to go with 3 or 4 kicker l7 8" or something. Or buy an after market rear bench seat. Wifes gonna kill me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
The carpet doesnt follow the contours of the body, if I rip it out I am sure to gain alot more air space. The wells are squared off under the carpet. I might be able to raise my seats an inch at best. But an inch is an inch. Atleast thats whut the ole lady always tells me ;)

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 420
yuo shouldnt have to raise your seats for 2 10"s .. also .68 cu inches should be fine for those subs they wont perform as well in a larger enclosure.. i really think your subs are at fault here.. earlier up you said u were gonna go with alpine (my company of choice :-) )but werent impressed with there lineup this year.. i have to agree with u .. there new hu's i think are garbage as are there new type r speakers.. but there subwoofers are great.. im running 2 12" type R's in my car right now and each of them only have .85 cu ft of airspace .. thats just lil more than your box is providing right now .. and lemme tell u they rattle my car and the sound quality is great as well.... those 2 amps would work good with 2 type r's or another sub that works well with small airspaces is a jl w6 <- awesome sq and can get loud to they would be a lil more pricey though.. 1 jl 10w6 will outperform those 2 subs.. u already have the power so its up to you.. btw i never asked is it spl u want or sq or a bit of both?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
My thouts on sq when it comes to subs are prolly a little out of the norm. I dont get subs for sq lol. Thats what my mids and highs are for. My box is small but there are leaks. Mayby I should just rebuild it. Also, My subs are sounding alot better now. I think they are "breaking" in. After all this I think I'll just rip the box apart and make a new one a little bit bigger. I havent made a box before but you guys are saying its easier with mdf. I just dont see a way to get some of the contours I need. What is the absolute minimum I should build with mdf? Thanks for all the help btw! Dub6's are awsome and I've been keeping my eye on em. Waiting for them to drop just a lil bit though. Of course then I'll have to trash my amps and get a jl amp. JL mids and highs. hehe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
On fast paced music i.e. chevelle, perfect circle and son on the bass hits with a tin sound. It can rumble with low tones though and actually sounds better with low tones. Not a prob, I'll get her going. Rebuild my box with same specs only bigger. Counter sink my subs (.035) displacement so I might be able to make it big enough to have the same amount of airspace as now but counter sunk subs. Ill put an infinity bass link under my center console (hiddin seat/compartment) and that outa do it for me. Been real helpful bro thanx.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us