Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 72
does any1 know the highest recorded decibel level

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 26
No, it is not true... the highest ever recorded SPL score was at the dB Drag Finals two years ago set by a team from Germany; they hit a whopping 177.7 dB!

The loudest "thing" on earth, believe it or not, is a whale (if I remember correctly a blue whale), they have been known to hit decibel levels in excess of 180 dB with their "whale songs".

But no one has achieved a level of over 180 dB with a sound system that I'm aware of, at least not in any sanctioned events,whether it be IdBL, dB Drag, USACi, MECA, SLAP or NSPL.

Which is true, but when Team BS hit 177.7, it was on the old termlab. So now that the scale has been shifted, I would say that the scores are misleading.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2281
Well, he's right, but I'm not sure about the whale part.. lol I believe the loudest thing is the space ship. It does over 180 DB's, because it has something to do with the fuels chemicals changing the atmosphere. The only way you can hit 180 db's in Car audio is port wars. People have hit 180 in port wars but thats the only way.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 227
The rocket engines taking off reaches over 215dB's at the source.

Silver Member
Username: Dankman

South Bend, Indiana United States

Post Number: 220
This dude i know has 16 rockford P2 12's in his truck and it was way louder than this dude that hit 160 decibles with 4 DD 15's, never got to see what decibles the 16 12's hit but im sure it was in the high 160's, thats the most bass i've ever heard in person.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2285
215! I knew it was over 180, but sh1T! Thats loud.
Lol, I've been in a truck that did in the mid 150's, and I couldn't really breathe, I couldn't imagine being in something that does in the 170's!

Bronze Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 74
after how many db's r u cracken ur windows

Silver Member
Username: Ctx

Post Number: 147
nuclear bomb= 10000000000000db's

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 82
according to nasa they claim they have produced the loudest noise possible at 210db, which they say can put holes through solid objects.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrcoddy

Taber, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 27
i dont know if you would be able to sit in a vahhicle doing 170, unless your like 80 years old and already deaf lol

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2298
Lol, in the truck I sat in, it wasn't realy loud though, it felt more like someone was squeezing my lungs or something.
I've asked the same question about breaking glass, and got a few different ansers.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 243
Heh, I just read that the waves from Volcanos have been recorded at over 272dB.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 129
crack ah toe ah

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 55
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm trying to put whales in my trunk but the biggest enclosure i can fit in my car is 20 gallons. Also, what would be louder...2 12" whales or one 15" whale????

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 175
HAHAHAHA, nice one scuba steve, I prefer one 15" whale powered by the shrimp n' plankton amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3102
LOL very funny ....cool scuba

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 520
I read somewhere that the highest decibel level allowed without modifying the atmosphere is 180db or at least approximately.
The reason the space shuttle is that high is because of the chemicals in the fuel modifying it, yea.
I'm sure Jonathan or Glasswolf have a giant explanation on the entire thing, hehe.

Bronze Member
Username: Racer501

ND USA

Post Number: 45
how many people here thought of the sonic boom when u break the speed of sound? have they ever gotten a mesurment of the db lvl of one of those? i know our one teacher said that itll shatter glass if ther to low when they do break the speed of sound

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 325
scott owens, team pioneer, hit 179db 2005 SBN IdBL

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 65
I remember reading an article somewhere years ago about some scientists supposedly making the loudest possible noise...but it was in a box of some type and you couldn't hear anything from the outside...wow, i really don't remember much about that article.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3115
you sure it wasnt those whales scuba???? LOL

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 69
damn, that must have been it...there was a whale inside the box. :-)

Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 9
if you were sitting in the vehicle when it hit 177 db it would kill you point blank period no human body can withstand that loud of a noise

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2947
At 177 decibels you would more than likely rupture organs. The main cause of death would be a heart attack though, and yes it does happen.

Anonymous

The call of the blue whale reaches levels up to 188 decibels. This extraordinarily loud whistle can be heard for hundreds of miles underwater. Theoretical calculations by Roger Payne and Douglas Webb (from the 1970's) predicted that the loudest whale sounds might be transmitted across an entire ocean. The blue whale is much louder than a jet, which reaches only 140 decibels! Human shouting is 70 decibels; sounds over 120 decibels are painful to human ears. The second-loudest animal on Earth is the howler monkey (Alouatta) from the jungles of Central and South America.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2954
It's all true.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4205
Underwater acoustics are totally different. Underseas you can hit in the high 200 decibel range because water has so much more pressure compared to air. Above ground, remember that you are compressing air, meaning that if the power of the subwoofer (or sound device) surpasses the pressure of the atmosphere, then you will not be compressing anymore, making it VERY hard to get any louder. That's also why SPL will vary due to altitude, since air pressure changes with elevation. Maximum capable db level at sea level is 194 db.

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Post Number: 60
Wait lets back it up... how do you fit 16 12" subwoofers and a person in a trunk???? please tell me

Silver Member
Username: Dankman

South Bend, Indiana United States

Post Number: 222
They are all behind his front row seats 4 rows of 4 12's all right behind you in a truck, 16 rockford p2's

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
so like a whale above water would produce higher or lower db levels

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
so like a whale above water would produce higher or lower db levels

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2965
Lower. Sound travels better through water than through air.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 503
i let out a f@rt once that was like 100-110 dB's lol

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 504
i let out a f@rt once that was like 100-110 dB's lol

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 109
does any body know at an approximate db when someone cant survive...i thought it was like 165ish...maybe not...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us