Question with impendences

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
Hi, i posted before but now i have more information about my speakers.

i have one 12" kenwood which runs at 4 ohm
i have one 12" audiobahn dual 6 ohm coils

i did the math. if i wire the audiobahn in series and combine the speakers i get a total of 1.71 ohms

if i do the audiobahn in parallel the two speakers together produce exactly 3 ohms

i am going to do it in parallel, however i was wandering if i was to get an amp that when bridged is stable at 4 ohm, would hooking up 3 ohm load to it damage the amp.

the reason i ask is because im having a hard time finding a bridgeable amp stable at 2 ohms. im looking in pawn shops because all i have is about 60 bucks to spend on an amp

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 44
With subs that different, I would save up and buy an amp for each.

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 14
Cash always a problem... but if both of your Kenwood and audiobahn is subwoofer, you should wire as follow..
Parallel your Kenwood ---> 2 ohm
Parallel your audio babahn ---- 3 ohm

Then wire serie both of them... you will get 5 ohm. This will work fine with 4ohm amp.. that you probably find on Ebay or pawn shop with your 60 bucks. Remember 4ohm driver may be louder than your 6ohm driver in this case. Good Lucks

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
did the math wrong. if i do my DVC audiobahn in parallel and my kenwood SVC in parallel i come out to 1.71 ohm found out today when i hooked up my amp, if i kick it above 20 volume it hits protection.

if i do the audiobahn in series it comes to a total of 12 ohms. my kenwood is 4 ohms. so using this Rt= (12x4)/(12+4) you get 3 ohms. i believe.

if i do them both parallel you get. Rt=(3x4)/(3+4) coming to 1.71 roughly.

you guys tell me if im right or not. if i can get it to 5 ohms i would love it.

remember the dilemma here is 1 DVC sub with 6 ohm on each coil and 1 SVC sub with 4 ohm coil

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
the amp i found BTW is a lanzer vibe 300 watt 2 channel.

it sounds great (never heard of em before) i got it for 55 bucks at a pawn shop. ill keep doing my math here but if anyone knows an easier way ill be listening :-)

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
WINN taking what you said.

if i do the audiobahn in parallel i get 3 ohms. but the kenwood being svc would stay at 4 ohms. if i then wire them together in series i would get 7 ohms. will my amp work with that and how much power would that cut me

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
scratch all i just said ill start over... wow its been a while since i was in math class.

here it is to my best of knowledge.

if i do the audiobahn in parallel and hook up the kenwood to that in series to the amp i would get 7 ohms which the amp should be able to do.

if i do the audiobahn in series and parallel that to the kenwood then i get a total of 3 ohms which my amp is not rated for.

so my best choices here are 7 ohm or 3 ohm. the obvious choice would be 7 to prevent damage and overheating the amp. however with more ohms (resistance) it cuts power. so my 300 watt amp just took a big hit to the gut and is only breathing out ???? to each speaker.

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 21
if your amp @4ohm drive 7 ohm load, yes, your power will be cuts... @8ohm you will loss 50%... do you math ...

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
well right now it appears to be my only option. as i cant afford another amp. thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 232
Don't run two different subwoofers along the same frequency lines. You'll get cancellation issues and usually sounds like crap (unless you have some high end equipment to figure out phase differences and responses).

The only impedances you could run are:
Everything in parallel: 1.71429
Parallel Audiobahn and series the KW: 7ohms
Series everything: 16ohms

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
i paralleled the audiobahn and series the kenwood and its running at 7 ohms, sounds great and doesnt cut out or go into protection.

just a bit quieter of course because of the fact its running 7 ohms. however im satisfied. this was just a 55 dollar amp (lanzer vibe 220 300 watt) to get some bump back into the car until i can afford something better

Bronze Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 16
wired safely at 7 ohms that amp can last a lifetime

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 25
Just remember - while the amp may last - underpowering your subs is worse than overpowering them. Your subs should not be turend up anything higher than moderate volume levels.

Keep this in mind. Personally, I'd rather my amp go into protection now and then.

Seth

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
sorry but cant see how underpowering a sub is worse. you see if underpowering a sub was a bad thing then anything at low volumes would be bad for it.

the amp is shitty, if i hook up just the kenwood (4 ohms) then it sounds pretty bad. sounds even worse with everything at 7 ohms but it will just have to work for now

Bronze Member
Username: Earl

Lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 13
seth is right

Bronze Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 19
melt the coil low and blow the coil high.. thats what i was told

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2942
"underpowering your subs is worse than overpowering them."

Underpowering a subwoofer does not harm it. You could run a speaker for an eternity at half or even less of the recommended RMS wattage. Most subs get damaged from underpowering, because their amps go into clipping, which is what really destroys the subwoofer. When the sub is playing at normal levels, while being underpowered, it may be fine, because it's not drawing more juice than the amp has to offer. The problem occurs when you crank up your volume, and increase the demand in wattage. If your sub is asking for more watts than the amp can produce, then the amp will begin clipping the audio signal in order to keep up with the demand. A clipped audi signal is square, compared to a normal signal which is oval or rounded. The square waves cannot pass through the voice coils as easily and built up a ton more heat.

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
there is a sensible response.

doesnt matter either way now. i sold the amp today because of the shi**y sound it produced. became unbearable.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2948
Lower quality amps can create some nasty distortion, and you were more than likely running that amp into clipping, which sounds terrible in its self.

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
yeah. i do have another question. my next amp im gonna get a mono amp that is 2 ohm stable, i can wire my two subs at 3 ohms.

if i got an amp that puts out 400 rms x1 @ 2 ohm but hook up two speakers to it. would it divide that power between the two, or would it send close to full power to both

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2956
What ever power is availabe is all the amp can give. If you have two subs wired to it, then each sub gets half the power.

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
great, all i need then is an amp that gives me around 7-800 rms @ 2 ohm. thanks for all the help guys, ill let you know how it turns out
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us