Those who are smart about cars (unrelated to this forum)

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 163
Hey, quick question because I don't know where else to ask this. I am wanting cheap, REAL cheap quick, easy upgrades to my car that will improve it's performance. It is a basic 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer, automatic, 4 cyl, 120hp. 0-60 in about 8 seconds. I love driving it, great on gas, plus it was really cheap. And suprisingly for such a cheap car it is fairly fast. Anything I can do to get every ounce of power out of that car without hurting the wallet? Thanks for the help!

Bronze Member
Username: Tbolt

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 14
You could get a cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, headers. Those are small upgrades, but will definatly get you extra horses

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 186
you could turbocharge it for 3k even..

I just got my celica turbo'd and it pumps.. beats foxcar mustangs etc..

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 15
I love celicas, but civics are the best

Silver Member
Username: Daddy_phat_sack

Post Number: 273
i got a 1989 4 cyl. mustang :D its ok

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 164
would I notice a difference with a cold air intake? Or is ram air better? (I am dumb when it comes to this)

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 17
Yes you will notice a bigger difference with a cold air intake, but because the filter is located near the bottom of the car, dont go in any deep puddles or your car will turn to scrap metal. Or you could by an air bypass valve http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 55
i agree with juelz...get a good quality intake, cat back exhaust...i'd also recommend ignition wires. It will set your engine sound away from the rest along with performance...look into MSD ignition wires.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 165
What about this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33741%26item%3 D7983692875%26

It is a cheap supercharger for my car, how would something like that do?

Bronze Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 76
If you have $3k lying around...it'll do just fine...

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 166
no, the link I listed...

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 104
hey man just cut of your exhaust and get you a whole bunch of racing decals like VTEC and STi...thats what people do around here and they "sound and look fast"

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 379
well first off dont by a coffee can exhaust it will do nothing but make you look like an idiot and your car sound like crap. Cold air intakes are good but can lead to hydro lock if you like puddles too much they also dont give too much of an HP boost. The exhuast is probably the best for money on that car. If you go with an exhaust id recommend a full system starting with headers and working your way back. Try and get 1/4 to 1/2 in larger exhaust piping that is mandrel bent and has good welds or it wont be worth it. It should also have a high flow cat. Then I would supercharge it.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 24
http://sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/9912scc_ssbbpart2/
information about exhaust, headers, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4195
Drop in a 350 and put a roots blower on it, it's a common swap these days :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us