2 Kicker Comp CVR10's...What Amp?

Username: Kicker10

Post Number: 1
OK, I am new to all of this but I am trying to put together a system for my boat.

I already have 2 Kicker CVR10's (dual 4ohm coils and 300 watt RMS). I need to know what Amp I should use to drive these.

I also have a planet audio TT4400 to drive 4 6.5 Infinity Kappa marine speakers.

How do I wire the CVR10's to get a 2 ohm load to the Amp? When I do this, will each amp be getting the entire rated 2 ohm load or will that be cut in half for each speaker (600watts @ 2ohm = 300watts per sub)??

Thanks in advance...

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 170
Hook the positve of both speakers to the Positive speaker output of one side of your amp, and do that same for the negatives (That will take care of one sub/two coils. Do the same for the other side. If you then hook them to your amp, one speaker per channel, your amp will see a two ohm stereo load. However, if you buy a ohm stable monoblock, you could run all four coils off the one amp. Look on the Autotek site at the X-Class monoblocks, and also look at the JL's, Jbl's, Etc. Does you boat have a car sized motor, or an outboard?

Post Number: 2
The boat has a 502 big block Chevy and dual batteries (I can install a third s well) so I should be fine from the power standpoint.

Would this amp work? PLANET AUDIO TT850D
http://www.electronicgiant.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1335

1 X 600 Watts RMS Power (2 Ohm)

In the two ohm scenario, would I be providing 300 Watt RMS pre sub or is it a true 600 Watt?

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 204
Well, you have four coils. If you run one sub, with two coils, wired in parallel, you will have two ohms on the one channel amp. That leaves the other sub. You would be better off buying a one ohm stable monoblock, like the one you picked only one ohm stable, or a large two channel amp that puts lots of power into the two channels at two ohms. Your boat's alternator will handle the amp, that why I asked.

Post Number: 3
I appreciate the help. When I went into this, I thought to myself..."Self, just get a couple of subs, 4 good speakers, two amps and a decent head unit"

LMAO at that concept now! Makes me really appreciate the pros who do this for a living.

Anonymous

get a JBL BP600.1

yea i know everone recommends that amp, but for good reason....its nicly priced true 600 watt RMS amp....that'll sound good on your compvr's

and its class D so it wont draw nearly the current of an A/B amp

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 23
The JBL's a good suggestion.
The Hifonics have been popular lately too - the 500 would do a good job.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us