Which is better; 1ohm, 2ohm or 4ohm load?

Bronze Member
Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 59
yesterday during the course of resealing my enclosures i decided to rewire my DVC 10s from 1ohm to 2ohm.
The Orion 2500d @ 1ohm offers 2500w RMA. @ 2ohm it is rated 1700w RMS.

I have not been able to hear the 800w difference...

What are the audible benefits or disadvantages when comparing 1000w RMS against a 1ohm, 2ohm and 4ohm load?

Bronze Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 74
for your last question none, i don't know why you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on 800w, maybe you messed up

but all that 1ohm,2ohm,4ohm is are the different ways to be wired... and the reason most people try to make 1ohm loads is because thats when you get the most use out of your amp(puts out more power.. except jl amps)

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 305
technically, there is a dampening difference. that is, a difference between how accurate/responsively the subs move. the difference is arguably not audible though.
in some cases, there are differece in T/S parameters between 2ohm and 4ohm versions of the same sub.
i'm guessing, that since it is a 10" sub, it is not going to be using any of that extra power anyway. not certain what kind of sub it is though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
jeez mikechec way to show me up...

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 306
not at all. i agree with everything you said. just added a couple of facts that he/others may find interesting. well, i know i did. at least, lol.

Bronze Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 60
Mike/Mike
Thanks for the quick replies: the subs are MTX 81044 DVC 10"
(for full system specs see my thread entitled "Can a volume of .48cf provide the same level of output as .65cf?"

So hypothetically if i had a sub capable of wiring at 1ohm, 2ohm and 4ohm i would not hear any difference if 1000w watts were driving it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
haha i was j/k mikechec... lol same here im glad i know that now i never knew that before, im learning new stuff every day!!!

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 307
me too, man. always.

Bronze Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 75
so, on a 10" sub, you're likely not to hear the difference between 1 ohm and 2 ohm because of the way the 10's draw power?

Bronze Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 46
The THD rating of amplifiers vary when the impedance is 1 ohm, 2 ohms, or 4 ohms. The higher the impedance, the lower the THD (Total harmonic distortion)...Usually, its unnoticeable in subwoofers. That's why they usually are wired at 1 or 2 ohms for more power. Regular speakers are usually rated at 4 ohms because in normal speakers(coaxial and components), THD is much more noticeable. If just for subwoofer output, you won't be able to tell the difference, just run the lower impedance. If you run a 4 ohm load, you put more strain on the amp itself and it will get hotter.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 223
Generally, subwoofers can be run up to 10% THD and most listeners will not notice any distortion. The normal human ear does not discern these distortions with sub-60hz tones.

Bronze Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 61
Good info!

So the benefit of running lower ohms is realized through the amps higher output using the same incoming current.
less resistance from the 1ohm load equals more power over 4ohm load). There is no audible reason to choose a particular ohm...

In my situation the better configuration is wiring my subs to present a 1ohm load. Would that be a correct interpetation?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 310
typically there will be an additional stress on your amp and charging sysytem at 1ohm. however, since you have a class D amp, yes, a 1ohm load would produce the most power w/no significant tradeoffs, IF YOU NEED THAT MUCH POWER.
the ideal is to have the rms on your amp 50% more than the rms on your sub(s) for headroom. it can be more, but i don't want you to blow your sub giving it a 1ohm load. what is the rms on the sub?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us