My test tone results...

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 264
20hz-couldnt hear (very very completely faint)
30hz-hardly, you could hear, but it was quiet
33hz-lil more, but not much
40hz-seamed pretty loud
43hz-probly the loudest
45hz-maybe the same as 43, if not louder
50hz-well, it sounded higher but not louder

this is with 2 12" Type-R's in a prefab Obcon ported box tuned to 39hz...

would getting a sealed box make my low end response much better?

I dont have the money for a custom box tuned low, or the tools to make one.

I guess what Im tryin to say is..if you had to choose between the box I have now (Obcon) or a sealed box, which would you choose?

Also, the sealed box will be a prefab, but ill try and make it close to Alpines specs (how many cu ft would you recomend?)

If not, how can I improve?

I want it to get better, because in some rap songs, the bass lines get super low on a one or two notes and it just sounds, well, g*ay. I dont know if thats normal or not, but I know you guys can help.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 678
yes i would think a sealed box would definetly help you on the low notes. a 39hz tuning frequency it quite high.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 596
how does it sound "g*ay"? Does it kinda sound like its saying "I'm super thanks for asking"?

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 680
lol i highly doubt it alpine... maybe something more like "fabulous" tho lol

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 265
k, thx trevor..but how many cu ft per chamber would you recomend for 2 12" type-r's?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3001
keep in mind a sealed enclosure also has a tuning frequency (center frequency) and just like a ported box once you go below that things start getting distorted the lower you go past that. One trick that might help you is extending the port length out of the box for a lower port tune since you cant take the exsisting port out but you can still add to it from the outside but make sure its sealed as good as you can to test it then make it permanent and tightly sealed when your done. Another option is to try it sealed and you couls make a wood plate to go over them and carpet it to match.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 266
i dont have the tools or time for that right now, is what im saying though.

what I was hoping, is that getting a sealed box for a lot less money than a custom ported box, would fix my problem pretty well.

If I do go sealed (which I think I am), how many cu ft should I go for?

You said sealed has a tuning frequency, well, how will I know what it is in a prefab?

Also, if you had the choise between sealed, or prefab tuned to 39hz, what would you choose?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3005
you model is using you speakers theil small parameters on a box building program like winisd or a program like that. The theil small is what dertemines a sealed boxes center frequency.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 267
where can I download winsid?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3006
here

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 268
i cant figure out how to work winisd..i dont know why..

but heres the specs, if you could run them for me.

Specs
> Diaphragm Material : Kevlar Reinforced Pulp
> Magnetic Weight : 89.4oz.
> Mounting Depth (top mount) : 178mm (7")
> Mounting Diameter (top mount) : 275mm (10-7/8")
> Recommended Box Types : Sealed/Vented/Bandpass
> Recommended Sealed Box Volume : 0.7 -- 1.0 cu. ft.
> Spider Material : Nomex
> Voice Coil Diameter : 50mm
> Power Handling:
> Power Handling Capacity (Peak) : 1000W
> Power Handling Capacity (RMS) : 300W
> Thiel Small Parameters:
> Coil Height (Hvc) : 36.7mm
> Cone Area (Sd) : 467.59 sq. cm
> D.C.Coil Resistance (Re) : 1.8 ohm + 1.8 ohm
> Electrical Q (Qes) : 0.40
> Equivalent Suspension Stiffness (Vas) : 58
> liters(2.04cu.ft.)
> Free Air Resonance (Fs) : 27Hz
> Frequency Response : 24Hz - 1kHz
> Gap Height (Hag) : 10mm
> Impedance (Nominal) : 2 ohm + 2 ohm
> Inductance (Le) : 2.41mH at 1kHz (0.84mH at 20kHz)
> Linear Excursion (X linear) : 13.35mm
> Maximum Excursion (X peak) : 26.7mm
> Mechanical Excursion (Peak-to-Peak) : 55mm
> Mechanical Q (Qms) : 8.68
> Sensitivity : 87 dB/W/M
> Total Loudspeaker Q (Qts) : 0.38

Gold Member

Post Number: 3009
its actually not hard if you read the help menu and put the right thiel small conversions in. What type of bass do you want sq type?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3010
if i was doing an sq box id choose 1.90 cf per 12 sealed

Gold Member

Post Number: 3011
i dont think winisd includes subwoofer displacemnt so that 1.90 cf is net not gross.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 269
damn 1.9? does everyone go around with boxes that big? lol, I was hoping to maybe go smaller than 1.56cuft per chamber (what I already have).

But if you say thats what youd really recomend. I really really want to get it right, cuz going prefab ported was a terrible decision (wish ida held off on all my stuff)

and like I said, would you switch from the box I have now, to the box you recomend if it were yours?

Also, would that make the 20-35hz much louder? If its not noticeobly different then I dont wanna go through the hastle of selling my current box and getting a new one.

Thx for your help thus far.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3017
honestly I wouldnt buy another box id stick with yours and be happy unless you wanted to build the box yourself becuase your not going to find basically a 4 cf prefab sealed box

Gold Member

Post Number: 3018
you could add about a pound of poly to a pound an a half and get a lower port tune it fools the sub into thinkig its a larger box size and as a result the port tune lowers its worth a shot

Gold Member

Post Number: 3020
that was per chamber

Gold Member

Post Number: 3021
id do the pound an a half in each chamber

Gold Member

Post Number: 3023
if im estimating right it will drop your port tune to 35 hz from 39 hz not too bad go for it....test the box with test tones again and let me know if I was right. After you put the pound and a half in each chamber.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3024
that should give you better sq and a lower port tune without buying a new box

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 270
huh, ill look into buying some of that. Would makin it tuned to 35hz make much of a difference than 39 though?

If not, could I even add MORE of that stuff without causing problems?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 271
also, where can I look into buying some of it, whats it called, and how much does it go for?

Is it hard to install?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 272
bump

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 148
My program calculates that with the parameters given, the optimum closed box would be about 9 liters or 1/3 cu ft. This size box would yield and obnoxious peak around 110 Hz, and rolloff sharply in both dirrections. Something tells me that either the parameters are not correct or this driver is garbage. I checked Alpines website and the parameters are like you posted. I have used my program many times before and it is quite precise. I used BassBox6 Pro.

I graphed out a .7 cu ft and 1 cu ft, and I got almost identical responses on the graph. Something is not right.

Upload

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 149
Here is the difference between a closed box and a vented box. The yellow line (if you can see it) is that of a closed box. The red line is that of a vented box.

This is just to prove that vented boxes will produce extended lower bass than closed boxes. I noticed that that was your concern. You wanted more low bass out of your Alpine 12 type R's. Well there you go. Use a vented box and it will give you better results.

Upload

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 273
huh.. I wonder why the specs are wierd, because its not complete garbage, its not garbage at all. Type-R's are pretty good subs for the money. Maybe Alpine put out the wrong specs...but it dont seem like they would.

idk

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 152
I have been an Alpine fan for years, but not on drivers. I preffer their head units and amps over anything out there. I havent built a system using those subs, so I am not aware of their real life capabilities, but from what I have seen in their component and/or separates I am not impressed, I am actually disgusted. They sound like garbage. Sorry to say DWP I am not trying to offend you on any means. It is what it is.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 153
Ok heres an update. I removed the large parameters and used only the small thiel parameters. I have a better response on both the closed box and vented. The vented is way better.

In a closed 1/3 cu ft box you will get a cutoff of 65 Hz.

In a vented 1.4 cu ft box tuned at 27 Hz you will get a cutoff of 31 Hz using a 2" port 6 5/8" long.

Here are the graphs. Again, the yellow represents the closed box and the red represents the vented box.

Upload

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 274
the 12" type-r's are sq subs, and its recomended that you use a sealed box, but I didnt go that route.

And ya, their components suck, but the subs are great. Not the best, but good for the money.

Somethings deffinately wrong with the specs, because the sealed box cutoff shouldnt be that high.

And sean, you out there?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 156
the sealed box recomendation were 1/3 cu ft. This is for optimum performance, not cut off.

Theres very little difference as far as output and cutoff is concerned between the 1/3, .7, and 1 cu ft sealed box. Here are the graphs. Yellow is 1/3. Red is .7. Blue is 1.

Upload

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 276
bumb for sean..

Gold Member

Post Number: 3049
you can get the loose poly fill at wallamrt in 20 oz bags for like 2.50 a piece or buy the batting in mat form and glue or staple it down around all the walls of the box except where the sub board is

Bronze Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 62
alpine great line(south park)

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 277
would you recomend the batting in mat form? If so, where would I get it? Still wal-mart? same price?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3053
wallmart about the same price from what I remember
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us