RE-XXX 6.5" Midbass Resistance . . . hooking up to an Orion HCCA225G4

Silver Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 195
Hey Guys,

Yesterday I had my stereo installed, and for the rear mids I went with RE-XXX 6.5" midbasses hooked up in parallel to an Orion HCCA 225G4 amp. From what I have read, the RE-XXX 6.5" speakers are 1.75ohms, but when I measured the load on the Orion amp, it was 1.5ohms. By hooking up the XXXs in parallel, should I not be getting a 0.875ohm load (i.e. 1.75ohm/2)??

I am so confused! The HCCA is a cheater amp, and it needs a lower impedance, preferably around 1ohm, to really perform.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks!
Bryan

Bronze Member
Username: Zero43

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 46
did you read the spec sheet right i was looking them up and the info i got said they are 4 ohm midbasses

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4221
If I remember correctly, it is a 2 ohm midbass, if that's the case the Re of 1.75 is right. I have the t/s parameters, it just doesn't list a nominal impedance, but I haven't seen too many 4 ohm speakers with a DCR of 1.75. Remember that speakers are a reactive load, the impedance will change according to the frequency the speaker is playing. You didn't measure the impedance with the amplifier running, did you? Just test the DCR of each speaker to get a rough estimate. If you wire them in parallel, you should get an impedance roughly equivalent to 1 ohm.

Bronze Member
Username: Zero43

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 49
I was actually thinking the same thing. I experienced the same thing when i measured subwoofer impedance. I think it was the harrder you drive them (especailly near its freq bounds) the higher the impendance but Im not sure it could be the other way around. I did mine both off and on. the only reason why i measured it while it was on was to get the impedance at peak ac voltage to determine the amp output
If what jonathan said doesnt work measure each one individually without the amp then wired together without the amp and see what you get
just a suggestion but measure your speaker wires

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4223
You should never use an ohmmeter with a live circuit, that's why I was asking if he used it with the amp on, BTW. Measure voltage and current and calculate from those values.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 75
ya they're 2 ohms (mine are)
how do you like them Bryan D?

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 130
Jonathan, I am confused on this...I want to do the same thing and measure my impedance so
i will be going to the store to buy a Dig. multimeter tommorow. Where do i measure at? I set the DMM to ohms and then measure at the crossover output to the speakers? How do i measure it if the car isnt on? What is and how do i test for DCR? please forgive my ignorance on this. Thank you,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us