2 subs ported vs. 3 sealed

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 180
Okay. I was just wondering, would 3 sealed subs be better in (sq? sql? spl?)or would two subs in a huge ported box be better in tho's catagories? This is asuming that the all the subs are the same. Your help is greatly apreciated.
-Thanks

whoo caresss
Unregistered guest
3 sealed no doubt.. 100% man. in all three i'd say.. but for sure it would sound better 3 sealed. buttt what do u others say?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 505
Technically the same sub in each situation, I think the 2 ported would be louder. In the ported example, you get 3 db per cone (6 dbs) + 3 dbs for the ported boxes. 6db + 6db = 12.
The sealed you would get the 3 db per cone, making for a total of 9. You would obviously have better SQ with the sealed, tho.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Okay thanks. I am trying to figure ou which i like more. I still havn't figured out if i like SQ or SPL better. With that in mind, Could you still hear the bass outside of the car. I mean i really want people to know when i am comming down the block, but i also want the bass to be clear and crisp.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3494
it's a average of 3db's per additional driver so with 3 sealed it would be + 6db's and with the ported it would be +3db's for 2nd driver and + 6db's for ported. these again are estimated gains. so ported would be about 3db's louder but it would be close. If your tuning was low enough SQ would still be good depending on the sub you choose but with higher port tuning the sealed enclosure will have better sq with less spl. another thing you have to take into account is the amount of power you are going to give each driver because 2 ported with 500 watts each will be much better then 3 sealed with 333 watts each.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 147
I have 2 SONY XPLOD's in a sealed box being powered by an Alpine MRP350 and people can hear me from 2-3 blocks away, They will still hear you, no doubt.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 253
the primary determinate, imo, is which subs/amps you are choosing. if you get the good stuff then the added 3db may be a moot point. when i ran 3 w3's sealed, i often had to open the windows because my ears would hurt (sooo literally). the biggest advantage (imo) with ports is the volume of the depth/bottom end.
i havn't heard any ported systems that were sq based per se, but i know they exist. it takes some technical tuning and time to get a good sq ported box. but with 3subs (good stuff), i would personally go sealed.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3498
yup. I ran 3-10w6's and with 600 watts it sounded so clear and in the upper frequency range got so loud it would hurt lol! if you do 3 subs get dual 6ohm that way you can wire them to a 4ohm load or a 1ohm load.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Well, i have 2 alpine type e's. In a ported box tuned to 36 hz. The cubic feet total is about 3.2. I am planning on buying a orion hcca 250. So, wattage isn't really a problem. If i don't get it then i want to find an amp that is aprox. 800 watts at 1 ohm and 400 at 2 ohm etc. Does this change anything. What are your opinions?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 262
not sure if i understand your question. but that is exactly how i ran my trio of w3's. w/a audiobahn 8001dt. 800w/3 @1ohm

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 152
Its basically like this

Sealed- Better sound quality, tighter response/quicker response
Ported- Louder, Louder, and terrible quality (well, usually)

IMO 3 sealed vs. 2 Ported... I would personally choose 3 sealed any day. I think that the 3 sealed might be a little louder or the same as far as SPL but it would blow the other 2 away in SQ. Just my opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
Okay then thats what im bout to do den. Cuz these subs are only like 60 on ebay.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4166
"Sealed- Better sound quality, tighter response/quicker response
Ported- Louder, Louder, and terrible quality (well, usually)"

False. Ported gets a bad reputation because it's more difficult to implement correctly than sealed, sealed is pretty much goof proof. Your typical prefab ported boxes perform more like a leaky sealed box than a true ported box. A well designed and built ported box can hold it's own with any sealed box in sound quality and outdo it in SPL. It just takes the equipment and knowledge to take advantage of it. Look at 5 figure home audio systems and see how many use ported enclosures, there are a gracious plenty.

This article is VERY informative and clears up a lot of false misconceptions about ported boxes.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_2/cmilleressayporting.html

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 264
well, keep in mind that if they are not sq subs, you can run sealed all day, but you won't necessarily get that sq you're looking for. just mentioning it, b/c if your getting 3subs (or even one)for 60 bones, you might possibly be better off ported.
what kind of subs are they?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 388
lol again jonathan gets all defensive over his ported boxes.. knew you would jump in when i saw that

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2944
jon is right and i know from personal experience hes right form a kicker 12 we had sealed and switched to ported. Sometimes a speaker will not lend itself however to a chioce of both sometimes you have to choose sealed or ported depending on the theil small parameters. I too get defensive about the sealed having better sq tho.. its so false

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 269
everything in perspective. as i stated earlier, it takes considerable time and technical tuning for a good sq ported enclosure. i mean who wouldn't like the best of both worlds? but he still hasn't disclosed his subs or amp. only that they are 60 bones on ebay. so basically, such a box is going to be considerably more than the drivers so i don't think that's going to happen. the scary part is, you have to really trust that someone IS using the proper equipment and such (that jonathan mentioned). cuz once the box is built, its built. i have been stuck like that before.

thanks for that article jonathan. it was very helpful. if i didn't have so much power, i might reconsider the enclosure we discussed for my brahmas.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4168
"lol again jonathan gets all defensive over his ported boxes"

:-). I'm actually running sealed in my truck right now, but I've used ported many times in the past and it has it's benefits for SQL. Mainly an issue of personal preference and the application than which one is better than the other, both have their pros and cons, both for SQ and SPL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Well my subs are alpine type e's. The ones that best buy sells. I am not sure if they have good spl but i think alpine is more a sq brand. Am i right? What should i still go with? Ported 2 or sealed 3?

Bronze Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 61
best buy sells type r's well atleast the 1 by me they sell for like 200 right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Yeah the one in seattle does. But, i really need to know if i should go 2 ported or 3 sealed. I'm thinking more sealed but what u guys think?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us