Not getting the perfect sound, why?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 270
so i have a 12" Atlas runned by a fosgate p2502 amp. it doesnt sound much better than my old kicker system. i know the Atlas is high on sq, what might my problem be. i have walmart audio cables, should i get gold plated ones? also i have a clamp terminal on my sub box, should i get a gold screw kind? do these make a difference. maybe my box has a leak, any way to check? thanks

DonnyAladam
Unregistered guest
most likely it's your box.. was it custom built?? i don't think the wiring will make TO much of a difference

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
ya i built it. it wasnt perfect but i siliconed it pretty good. maybe i should buy one. does having a slanted face make a difference,

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 668
"does having a slanted face make a difference"

I don't think it does.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2876
db sad to say diferent amps give different results as im finding even if they have the same rated power rms even something as simple as the amps center frequency at bass boost can make a difference in terms of all out spl . The other factor is cabin boost and each car can be different from the next. The best way to give yourself a better chance with your next enclosure without spending money would be to run single hz test tones at a mild to medium volume (but a constant one) and see which ones are loudest and which ones are weakest and model your next box using a free box building program around those results but try to balance out the weak spots with the strong hopefully atttaining a balanced but louder overall sound. Polyfill may also be a usefull tool.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2877
a different type of enclosure is also an alternative

Gold Member

Post Number: 2878
you can download free test tone at realm of excursion

Gold Member

Post Number: 2879
tones

Gold Member

Post Number: 2880
i actually think it does but i cant prove it

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 383
i think u misread sean he is concerned about his sq :-).. but yeh make sure the box has the right internal volume... polyfill can also boost sq a lil bit

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4157
A slanted front makes a difference in the department of standing waves. Square boxes have the potential for standing waves, a slanted front minimizes that. What kind of Kickers are you comparing them to?

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
oh i had 1 15" Kicker Comp, it got a lot louder than my Atlas, which i dont care about since im now going for sq. but it also sounded just about the same in sq (except when playing rock, 15" suck for rock). maybe ill try a different box i have a feeling mine has a leak since i put it together in about 45 minutes. But you guys dont think upgrading to gold audio cables runned to the sub would make a difference? thanks for the help

hahaha
Unregistered guest
Ha HA his kicker system was better lol!!! Take that Atlas! ha ha

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
no didnt say better..just louder.

ha ha ha
Unregistered guest
whats better some guy paling the drums in the back seat? you want sq turn down the system and wa la

ha ha ha
Unregistered guest
whats better some guy playing the drums in the back seat? you want sq turn down the system and wa la

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 508
I'm guessing you're running a sealed box? I don't think a leak matters too much unless it was a big hole. The only real problem with a leak in a sealed box is that when the sub hits, it can sometimes make noise through the hole.
The cabling probably won't make too much difference either. The difference between expensive wiring and cheap walmart wiring isn't THAT much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2916
you did say that the sq was just about the same db so it doesnt sound like the change to the atlas did much for you right not but once again I point you to my guidance i gave you above. Why not get the best of both worlds improved spl and improved sq.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4164
What size did you make the box?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1907
well you are also comparing a 15 to a 12. and if there is a leak in the box, it will matter.and the size. the atlas runs awesome in a small sealed enclosure. and what qts setting do you have it at?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2925
yes a leak in a box will affect things no question and hunters question about the qts setting is also a good point. With adjustability like that sub has you are bound to get things set the way you want either by selaling up the leaks or making a new box assuming everthing is set right on the amp as well as the headunit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2927
jonathan has also been checking in here for you. Im sure he will have some good avice to give as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us