CAR SUBWOOFER

Username: Sk05200

Post Number: 1
HI MY NAME IS SUNEEL. I HAVE A SONY XPLODE CD PLAYER IN MY CAR AND TWO 4OHM SPEAKERS AT THE REAR. HOWEVER I WANT TO CONNECT MY PHILIPS HOME THEATRE AMPLIFIED SPEAKERS WHICH HAS 8 OHMS EACH AND ALSO THE AMPLIFIED SUBWOOFER. PLEASE ADVISE IF I CAN CONNECT THESE 8OHM SURROUND SPEAKERS? IF NOT CAN I ATLEAST CONNECT THE AMPLIFIED SUBWOOFER? OR WOULD IT NEED ANY EXTRA SETTINGS OR WOULD THE CD PLAYER OR BATTERY BE AFFECTED IF I CONNECT THE SUBWOOFER?

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1290
...you cant run a subwooder off a headunit. As for it being a home audio amplified sub i'd advise against it and just leave it in your home.

Home audio is meant for home audio. That sub would probably sound copmlelty different in a car then in your house, the box its in is meant to perform in a much larger space then your car.

I'd advice against putting those 8ohm speakers in your rear as well. They will get half the power of the ones back there now becuase of the change in ohm load. Since your running a sony headunit you're probably only receiveing maybe 9 true watts of RMS power, in changing them to 8ohm you're receive close to 5 watts of true power.

Youll be better off and happier if you save your mnoey for a little while and buy car audio equiptment for your car. and leave the home audio in your room.

I'm sure there are numerous knowledgable people here that would be more then happy to help you build a good system on a budget.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 481
he said it was amplified jeff so it should work...im not sayin it will but it might

try it and tell us

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 20
come on suneel, your powered speakers and subs have to be plugged into a wall outlet (in other words, you'll need extra settings you spoke of). You'll waste too much power converting 12V DC to 110V AC. Your could dismantle the equiptment and just use the drivers but you'll still need to power them. Either that or run a really long extention cord :-) Also, if I might ask, where are from and what is your native tongue?

Username: Sk05200

Post Number: 2
i am from india. and i connected one of the 8ohm speaker and the sound from it was okay. but i not taking risk of connecting all of the rest of the speakers and subwoofer as jeff said it would not draw much power. well i would use those speakers in the car if it no ways damages my CD system. my home theatre system Philips make, but unfortuately the built-in amplifier+dvd player is damaged in tsunami. luckily the speakers and subwoofer is working. so that is why i was thinking of connecting to the car. if you guys recommend not to use them in the car, i better not use it, so i wont damage the Sony CD system that i have. thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us