Difference in slanted enclosure?

Marco P.
Unregistered guest
I wanted to get a sealed box for my 2 12"s and I came across a dual enclosure that is slanted upward where the subs are mounted. I believe they called it a hatchback box, but I'm not sure. My question is, is there a significant difference in sound between this and a regular straight rectangular box, assuming equal volume chambers? If so which would you guys recommend for better sound quality. Thanks.

Marco P.
Unregistered guest
Come on guys, help me out

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 661
I haven't found a sound difference. I think it is most likely from being able to fit the car.

Bronze Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 70
I think it helps the bass bounce off the hatchback rear windshield better creating a better "rolling" bass effect (which I know even speakers without an amp sound better in a hatchback when the box is pointed at the back windshield)
Other than that, I know nothing about it. Hope that helps...
peace.

Infinity_Addict
Unregistered guest
with subs, the slanted box is just for presentation or space conservation. if you were to build a box for mid-range speakers, you'd want either the front or rear baffle of the box to be slanted in order to reduce what are called "standing waves," which i wont get into, but are all bad. however, standing waves arent a problem with subwoofer frequencies, so go ahead and buy or make yourself a smiple cube if you want!

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 27
Depending on your LP crossover frequency, you might get some miscellaneous standing waves in there, avoid a perfect cube if at all possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 51
How about slanting the back of the ported box, just so it would fit snuggly with the back of the rear seats?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3484
it does not matter if you have a perfect square or not as long as your box is under about 15sq ft. A standing wave of a frequency under 80htz is about 11ft at ist shortest point. as long as you dont have over 11ft between your walls there will be no standing waves under 80htzif you still dont feel comfortable throw in some poly fill that will help break up standing waves. the lower the tone the bigger the wave. The only way you can get standing waves in a box is if it is very very large or if you have a box with 6.5in mid bass woofers cut off at 400 htz or so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us