Magnet weights

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 232
what does the magnet do on a subwoofer. how does the size affect the sq and spl of the sub, cause i seen some low end audiobahn with a 60ounce magnet and it was 450rms, and my kicker comp's have 70ounce magnets but are only 150rms, why is that.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 231
NOTHING AT ALL BY ITSELF. a large motor structure means that the sub has a POTENTIAL to have high BL (motor strength). the bl is what determines how forcefully/aggressively the sub can be moved back and forth.
However BL is not mass related per se. The physical size and weight of the motor/magnet actually have little (if anything) DIRECTLY to do with BL. It's the strength AND FOCUS of the "B" (flux density) over the "L" (length of coil in the gap) that is important, not the size of the structure itself.

And, BL is just one part of the overall design of the sub. Looking at BL alone tells you nothing. as i stated in another thread thiele-small parameters have to be looked at as a big picture in order for you to fully understand how "good" a sub is. even then, you would need to hear it for yourself.

this is a pic of my Brahma.

Upload

huge motor structure which i really find essential, personally. but Dan Wiggins maintains that he could have produced the brahma with a much smaller motor structure but the marketing would not have been as great.

so, yes, if you use the magnets successfully, the size of the magnet can yield high bl, but there are other factors that are more technical that must be taken into account.
i.e., don't let a large magnet fool you. although there are drivers w/them that use them well, there are also those who slap some slugs on a driver and wait for the suckas (they do look rather nice though, LOL).

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1864
hmmm sadhara motor huh? gangster

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 234
ha!! thanks

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 233
but does the size of the magnet affect how much power a sub can handle.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2881
Not much really. The voice ciols determine how much the sub can handle, along with other factors.

Remember also, that it's not only the size of the magnet, but the strength. There are many different materials used to make magnets for subwoofers, and some are stronger than others. A very powerful magnet, such as Neodymium, can perform just as well as other magnets twice and three times the physical size.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 562
no, there are several factors that determine how effecient your subs cooling is. One is Voice coil diameter. With a 4" Voice coil u have more surface area to dissipate the heat as apposed to a 3", also the diameter of the polepiece vent helps to. the pole piece allows for the motion of the sub to cool itself. Most "spl" subwoofers have a extremely thick top plate because the high excursion changes the number of voice coil windings present in the gap. Consequently, competition woofers may play loud, but they seldom sound good at high volume.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1867
isnt the sadhara motor the same as the brahma motor but just with a different top and bottom plate? and a bigger coil usually means that the sub will be less effienct, and thats why the coils on the brahma were shortened. which has nothing to do with the topic. but i saw a brahma and i couldnt stop.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3424
hey Hunter have you talked to Sub?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1870
no not in a while. my phone got shut off, cuz that girl made me go over my minutes by 245. not happy. 150 bucks. it sucks.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3428
is that why I havnt seen you on AIM! what ever happened with that whacked out biotch?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1874
i havent talked to her in like a week man. btw she was like if i dont see you the 19 happy fathers day. i f*cking hung up on her as.s. lol. no she says she been out of town. idk anymore man. ya and thats why i havnt been on aim, it sucks

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3435
dude she is just straight up F'ing with you man!

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1882
i know. its funny. but not. :-(

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3442
exactly!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums