Multiple opinions would be nice on this one.

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 250
ok im kinda confused. i have a polk momo 12 inch sub that says 400w rms. its in a ported 1.7cf box with a port tuned to 40 i think. what would be a better amp. the alpine mrd-m301 that gives it round 150-175 watts. or the xtant a6001 that give it 300 watts. i just took the alpine out and put the xtant in and its weird some songs have the same bass but others dont. what do you guys think, im kinda havin trouble setting everything cus its little knobs and in not like pos where all the fq are and stuff.

Bronze Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 61
Definately the xtant, more power and I've heard its more reliable. As for tuning, I'm thinking it should be lower but I don't know. I'm sure some gold member will respond and answer everything you need to know.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 280
Oh yeah Xtant all the way. For multiple reasons in your case. More power, better SQ, better built quality and alpine amps are very mediocre. I would never buy an alpine amp, but thats just me.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 281
Oh and another thing, Xtant amps are 10-15% underated too. So you could be getting more like 330 wrms from it. I take it that you are using that Xtant amp at 4 ohms, huh?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2188
Alpine amps are overrated... I'd stick with the Xtant all the way!

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
yeah its at 4 ohms. thanks alot. just its hard cus i want it the filter at 75hz but its hard to find it exactly at the dial cus its not marked it says 40-120. any suggestion on how to do that stuff, by ear?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2822
bassfishing are you sure we ended up figuring that your port tune was going to be 40 hz? I know if I would have seen that i would have advised against a port tune that high. Anyway if the filter says 40 to 120 then half would be 80 hz as far as I see it so just below half would be 75 hz. If you wanted the test it to see where it was filtered at you could run test tone sweeps which you could download from realmofexcursion im sure and then burn them to a cd with a cd burner in your computer. Thats assuming you have a cd burner in your pc but now a days most people do. As far as bass boost set that using various types of music you listen to and set it to where it sounds pleasing to you. Setting your amp gain correctly is important too the best way to do that (I use a meter but you wont have this) is turn your volume on the deck to about 2/3 volume and set it just below distortion. ps..set the bass boost this way as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2823
bassfishing are you sure we ended up figuring that your port tune was going to be 40 hz? I know if I would have seen that i would have advised against a port tune that high. Anyway if the filter says 40 to 120 then half would be 80 hz as far as I see it so just below half would be 75 hz. If you wanted the test it to see where it was filtered at you could run test tone sweeps which you could download from realmofexcursion im sure and then burn them to a cd with a cd burner in your computer. Thats assuming you have a cd burner in your pc but now a days most people do. As far as bass boost set that using various types of music you listen to and set it to where it sounds pleasing to you. Setting your amp gain correctly is important too the best way to do that (I use a meter but you wont have this) is turn your volume on the deck to about 2/3 of max volume (gains down on the amp) and set it just below distortion. ps..set the bass boost this way as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
thanks a hell of a lot sean btw this is still my old box. the one we discussed is slowly in the process of being built cus im kinda busy with work. my new one will be tuned to like 33 its gonna be built 1.75cf and made to 2cf with polyfill.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 293
I have no experience with polyfill, but I would like to try it. Right now my subs are in a sealed box with almost exactly the recommended airspace. If I put polyfill in the box, what will that do? Will it make my subs louder? Or will I just get better SQ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2824
Your welcome bassfishing. I assume you read the last post i made that looks like a duplicate becuae that one is more precise in description.

Ok Isaac polyfill fools the subwoofer into thinking the box is larger so it ends up lowering your center frequency on a sealed box or lowers your port tune on a ported box. This usually helps with sq because adding the poly cuts down on box resonance but it may help or hurt your spl (how loud it is) in your car due to the fact you have whats called cabin boost which helps certain frequencies play louder but some frequencies get more boost than others typically 50 hz to 65 hz is the sweet spot for most vehicles providing the most cabin boost. So add a little polyfill at a time typically 1 lb per cubic foot but using less like half a pound may be best in smaller enclosures and add more in those increments if you want to test for the best outcome. A limit of no more than 1.5 pounds in a 1 cf box would be my recommended limit to you and more is allowed in larger enclosures.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us