SQ/SPL

Anonymous

What is the difference? I mean its not like its that noticeable. Judging from whats out there, the SPL speakers still sound good. Its not like the SQ speakers are that much better. I can hear them both just fine.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 211
humbly, have you listened to both? i remember hearing a quad of kicker cvr 12" and it hit harder than life, so to speak. but the sq was horrid.
if you have ever listened to a live band, or a really good pair of headphones, that's how the bass is supposed/meant to be reproduced. that is what is meant by sq.
in order for that to take place you really have to have a lot going into your system, because to reproduce great sq on the low end and not have the rest, kinda defeats the purpose imo. on a macro level, its a lifelong persuit. but the low end sq is the easiest/simplest to achieve imo.
if you listen to mostly hiphop (as i do plenty) the difference is not going to be as blatant in some instances. but in the case of the afore mentioned cvrs it is quite apparent. the response should be smooth and the transitions between notes should be apparent and not all muffled together into one note. you shouldn't hear "blat, blat" or any of the sounds produced by the mechanics of the sub, but rather the sound of the signal ONLY.
i.e., my beats should sound the same comming from my mpc 2000 into my headphones as they do coming from the cd through my subs.

Anonymous

I can hear them both just as good. the more expensive stuff just sounds more rounded thats all. the spl stuff just rocks tho.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2190
Well, maybe thats it! Some people just like spl... I'm one of them... sq is good... but spl just out weigh's sq in my apinion. Other people like the exact opposite...
Thats why we ask if you're looking for sq, or spl when we are trying to help someone pick out a new sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Xbranman

Chattanooga, TN United States

Post Number: 23
i think a good pair of 6X9's can fix the sq

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 560
6x9s wont make your sub have a tighter response :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Xbranman

Chattanooga, TN United States

Post Number: 27
very very true

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3443
most 6x9's because of the design(similar to the L5 and L7 have stress points in the surround and typically dont have good SQ whatsooever!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 131
Personally I like a 6 1/2" two way design. It gives me enough bass down to 70 Hz, which is enough to hear the bass guitar and low keyboard notes. The next xtep above that (subwoofer) is already too much investment. I remember when an 8" two way was happenin.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3458
yeah I remember that also. I am running a pair of 6.6in seperates and I absolutely love them. a decent set of 6.5's will sound so much better then the best 6x9 IMO!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us