Pics of my budget system! Take a look :-)

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 268
I put this system together for really cheap. I actually paid only $400 including shipping for this system!!! Thats includes the (3) Xtant A1044A 10" subs, Xtant A6001T amp and a 4-gauge complete KnuKonceptz wiring kit. Pretty tight. Since I only paid $75 bucks for the subs ($25 a piece w/ free shipping :-) LOL) I wasn't expecting a whole lot from them. But I was amazed, they actually pack a pretty good punch and they sound great. I put them in a sealed box and they are each getting the recommended airspace, but they are only getting 160 wrms a piece. They are 250 rms each, maybe someday I'll upgrade. I just wanted to share my system and maybe get some feedback!

Upload
Upload

BTW, the subs look a little funny due to the retarded size regulations for pics. So I had to resize and it made it look really crappy.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3421
looks good man and if it sounds good to you thats all that matters. also the price was great so the best of luck to you with those man you got a good deal.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 270
Thanks James! LOL, I thought I got a pretty good deal too!

Bronze Member
Username: Sublover

Lacrosse, MN U.S

Post Number: 13
Prety nice for only 400

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 213
sweet. i would cut a very small linear slit (w/a razor blade) under the amp and run the wires underneath the carpet to the subs. nice setup, man.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 273
Thanks Kyle and Mikechec, you know, I was going to do that with the speaker wire. That was the only part of the setup that kind of went wrong! LOL. The speaker wire ended up a little short. I probably can still do it, but I will be kind of pushing it with the length. I might try that today.... lol. Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 274
OMG I cant beleive I forgot this! BTW, in my original message I forgot to say that the total $400 dollars included the box w/ shipping too! God, how could I forget that?! Thats right 3 subs, nice amp, wiring kit and the triple box all inclduing shipping for $400. Makes it sound even better! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 868
very nice deal man

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2818
just move your amp to a closer location and that problem will be solved. I love seeing when people build budget installs that turn out nice. Good job man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2819
We did one in my cousins car the amp was 70 bucks (a profile 400 watt) and the box was 40 sealed prefab) and the sub was 60 (kicker c comp 12 2004 model). And the amp kit like 25 and it hit 124 db but we since then have swapped the kicker out of the sealed box into a ported box and it hits 127 db and its cleaner than the sealed box was.

70+40+60+25=195 bucks total price

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 275
Thanks sean. Wow, 195, that really is a budget system! I am curious as to how many db I can get with this setup. What is the best way of finding out?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2821
either buy a radioshack digital spl meter for 50 bucks like i did or get it metered at a shop even tho the spl meter from radio shack only goes up to 126 it comes in handy for more than just that ...like tuning your amp better

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 252
sean how can that slp meter help tune your amp?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 161
SPL = sound pressure level (volume)

f you run test tones through a system, an SPL meter will tell you how flat your frequency response is. two practical uses for an SPl meter in a car system are for dialing in the best crossover frequency and for level matching your subs to your mains. after that... an SPL meter will also help you further flatten your frequency response if you use an equalizer.

i don't own or want a car (i was looking in this thread to possibly upgrade my home sub driver) but i HAD TO visit this thread as BANG FOR THE BUCK is my kind of thing!

if you're happy with your sound quality... that's all that matters. that you got it for a realistic price only shows that it can be done.

i think that car audio enthusiasts are being conditioned to pay more than they should for drivers. a $1000 woofer makes me want to vomit.

for what it's worth... i took a similar approach with my home system. seing that i already had an extra amp and some larger 6 1/2" JBLs (my mains are tiny NHTs) i first bought an electronic crossover and used my larger bookshelfs as subs.

then when i wanted a real sub, i bought a $100 box and a generic $40 woofer from MCM electronics. i used it facing into the box until just a couple days ago as i was considering upgrading drivers.

i lined the inside and base of the box with 3/4" MDF for lower resonance and lined the interior with acoustical foam and to hopefully roll some bass off and decided to finally install it a couple days ago. once i sealed the driver airtight with "blue tack" during installation, my bass tightened right up.

now, my only problem is how to roll the wall rattling infrasonics down... not good for an apartment dweller.

by all means people... shop around! there is equipment available for realistic prices that sounds decent.

glad to see that someone else isn't a "good little consumer" who'll blindly hand money over to an industry just because everyone else does.

long live value for your dollar!

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 235
"i think that car audio enthusiasts are being conditioned to pay more than they should for drivers. a $1000 woofer makes me want to vomit."

then, with all due respect dude-this should really make you hurl:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275%26item%3D5783264597% 26
http://www.sumikoaudio.net/sonus/prod_stradivari.htm#spec

and these are cheap compared to the 200,000.00+ home speakers that are available on the market.
was curious as to where you saw highest end HT speakers/subs for less than entry level CA subs.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 287
15 grand for any speaker is just rediculous. I don't know how they get away with selling something for that price. Unless the whole cone is made out of diamond or something. :-)

Username: Chris_brewer

Stockbridge, GA. U.S.

Post Number: 6
I am in the process of enhancing my system but I have a really budget system right now. I bought a pair of 10" bostwick subs in a dual enclosure from a friend for 40 dollars and then spent 20 on a wiring kit and 60 on a 300 watt X 2 amp. It sounds pretty good for 120 dollars.

Stockbridge, GA. U.S.

Post Number: 7
Once i get money saved up i am going to buy an amp to power my brand new kicker S12L7 dual 2 ohm, i still don't know what kind of amp to get, and i also am not sure whether i want a sealed or ported enclosure but when i finally get everything it should sound pretty good.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 294
Hey, I have a vid of my subs on realmofexcursion. Take a look if you want. Here is a link:

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Xtant/a1044a.1.wmv

The audio didn't end up the greatest because my digital camera isn't the best.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2825
bassfishing budget minded covered it well but one thing ill add is if your a bass head and you dont care about a flat curve you could set your gains for the most spl ...i did this for my cousin because he just wants it as loud as it can be and ill tell you setting it that way made a 3 db increase using the meter to do it (example before the meter he was hitting 124 db after the meter he pegged the meter to 126 db but i know he was at least 1 db over the 126 so thats whay i said he gained 3 db to make him hit a total of 127 db)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2826
isaac thanks for making that video up for us but im not sure if im hearing your highs or if the voices are coming through your xtants if they are you need to set your crossover lower to cut the voices out thats not really goon on your subs or their sound quality after doing that you may have to reset some things

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA. U.S.

Post Number: 15
in cars like that the rear speakers are in the trunk. My car is the same way you can here the voices really loud in the trunk because of my rear speakers, but if the voices are coming from the subs you should fix it and then your subs will sound a lot better.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 186
I just spent $550.00 on two Eclipse Ti's... Thought I was doing alright...

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 478
Issac, man how did u find xtants that cheap lol...i love xtants they have great sq and good spl.
jake ur doing good gettin eclipse ti's for that cheap lol

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 296
No the voices aren't coming out of my subs. I am sure of that. LOL. Chris is right. My rear deck speakers are basically in my trunk, so you can hear the vocals pretty loud in the trunk. Donny, I got them from here:

www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com

They don't have them anymore. But I can't believe they had them that cheap. You can't even get a super peice of crap sub at Wal-mart for $25 bucks!

Bronze Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 27
ummm what can u put a 450 LB subwoofer in. not a car and if u did ude be riding reaaaal low. or is that not even a car subwoofer

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2901
That's for home audio man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2841
i bought some mtx 8000 10s from mtx that came from there. Im looking to sell them now. They are brand new never used.

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
issac...if u ever get tired of those subs hit me up man lol, il buy the set 4 10 lol, u can have the amd and wiring kit lol

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 298
Donny I didn't really understand your message, but were you offering to buy my subs for 10 bucks? LOL. Well, not likely. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
lol i mean when u get tired il buy em 4 100 bucks just for the subs lol, my keyboard is g@y

Bronze Member
Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 33
My system was $105

$35 for a brand new 10" infinity 1030w on ebay
I build my own box for free (my dad sells office fruniture so MDF was easy to get from him)
$20 for wiring kit
$50 for refurbished profile amp
I did spend $500 on speakers and a HU tho
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us