Jonathan. 1600watts/Brahma

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 206
thanks for the input on the sub burps. david navone suggested that it was probably IF noise, resulting from improper level setting. still working on that issue.

new issue regarding my brahmas-
ok. so, i know that you only really need about 800 watts to effect xmax. and that 1600w is merely a thermal rating.
problem- my two VGA 1600.2 are all i have to work with. the brahmas are 2ohm dvc. so its either 400w/sub or 1600w/sub.

i spoke w/adire tech support, and they suggested .75 ft^3, obviously because of the power that i am using, and the whole "protect the sub from reconing, warranty" issue.

i want to know if i can safely run these subs in 1.5ft^3 with gains adjusted. and will this effect the best low end extention/output for a sealed enclosure.

fyi. i have 0/1 big 3, iraggi 220 (170) amp alt, rux/pxa 701 and strongly considering a kinetic 2400. installing the end of the month. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4144
"thanks for the input on the sub burps. david navone suggested that it was probably IF noise, resulting from improper level setting. still working on that issue."
Have you disconnected everything in the line to see what the problem may be? Processor, head unit, and such? Try hooking up a 12V wire just to turn on the amp and make sure that it isn't the amp acting up. If not, look at the HU and possibly hook up a friends to see if the problem is solved. You just have to go through it piece by piece, sorry to say, there isn't really an easy answer, it's all a chain.

The Brahmas will do just fine with that power, you'll likely not see half that at normal levels. Just listen for distortion, you'll hear when the sub is at it's limits.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 207
no. i havn't had the chance to break down the system yet. school just let out so i'm free to get the install started. just needed input so i would at least have an idea of what to look for. thanks.
brahmas-great. that's what i figured, but i just wanted to make certain that the tech was merely being politically correct with his suggestion.
it's most appreciated

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 239
so, iyo, the advantageous route would be to run w/the 1600watts/sub vs 400watts/sub, and still maintain the 1.5 ft enclosure right? i'm competing sq, but love aggressive bass. was hoping that this new alpine rux/pxa 701 would help save settings for each preference.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 244
bump

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4159
I'd definately put 1600 on it compared to 400. Nothing like headroom. 1.5 cu ft is good for a Brahma, but it's a little on the large side, you'll get depth and excellent transient response, it'll just be that much easier to push it into overexcursion (again, just be conservative with the volume). With a 12" Brahma I'd go around 1 cu ft (net), though.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 246
"Nothing like headroom"
couldn't agree more. thanks. i feel a lot more positive about the system now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us