Which amp For Two 600RMS subs? First system

Username: Wr27015

Post Number: 1
ok would two of these
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=489AP1000&s=0&cc=01

supply two 1200watt 600RMS Audiosonic subs and sound loud/good? its being put in a truck in the cab.

Username: Rawr

Post Number: 9
if you bridged them then the amps would be putting out 480 watts which would definately make those subs pound. they may or may not be your best choice, but they would by no means be a bad choice either. although i've never had any experiece in profile eq so i guess i really can't say for sure. I'm sure if you looked a little bit more you could find something for relatively the same price that could push the subs to their near-full capacity.

Post Number: 2
no no, each sub is 1200Watt 600RMS i was thinking one AMP for each sub. running at 80%

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 616
Each sub is going to be underpowered by 120w rms. Personally, I don't think it will sound that great, but it's up to you.

Post Number: 3
what are you trying to say then? power it 100%???? i'll ruin the subs in not long from everything i'v read so far. so suggest me two amps or 1 amp that will do the job.

Silver Member

Post Number: 620
Get two RF Punch 601S amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 34
i would go with one awesome sub and one awesome amp if your looking for two of everything

WC
Unregistered guest
So you have 2 600RMS subs, so you need an amp that does 1,200RMS. So both subs will get what they need 600RMS, if you underpower subs THAT could or will damage them. Remember, its better to overpower subs then to underpower them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
It won't damage subs to underpower them heh. It could however lead to premature amplifier failure from the amp running at near full power all the time. You had the right idea.

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 119
you definantly can damage subs from underpowering because you will overdrive your amp at some points causing you voice coils to heat up amd mealt due to clipping and distortion.

WC
Unregistered guest
Yup

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
Directly from www.bcae1.com:

Too little power will only cause the maximum output level to be low. If the speakers can handle 3 or 4 times the power that your amplifier can produce, there's virtually no way to damage your speakers (no matter how clipped the signal is). If driving a speaker with low power would cause them to fail, speakers would fail every time you lower the volume on the head unit.

WC
Unregistered guest
Well then, maybe NO ONE should buy amplifiers then. Since now most HU's have preamps that are between 22-50 or more RMS, SINCE Jex has not expeirenced for himself that underpowering is bad. So no one buy and amp for your subs, just run them off your HU's preamp, see what happens if your run them off the HU, turn it up to 30 to get some bass, trust me JEX says its ok to underpower subs.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 188
How do you think a volume control works? It just reduces the amount of power going to the speaker. Are you saying that running your speakers with half volume can ruin them?

And you have preamps confused with onboard amplifiers.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 470
jexxen knows his sh!t u as.s whipe, id say u just a little kid whos in2 those square pyle audios u as.s comando. screw u wc

Silver Member

Post Number: 626
"buy and amp for your subs, just run them off your HU's preamp, see what happens if your run them off the HU, turn it up to 30 to get some bass"

I'm not saying it'll sound good, i'm saying it won't ruin anything. I've underpowered many speakers and not one of them has been damaged.

WC
Unregistered guest
You would be dumb to underpower subs anyways. I mean I can understand people not having the money to buy the right anm to power the subs. Lets say you have a sub that is 600RMS and buy and amp that is 300RMS, you would have to turn your HU high so get SOME bass. Why would you underpower, whats the point, the sub isn't going to be working full force. So you bought a $300 sub and only using $150 of it.
Oh hey donny, I once new a retard named donny. Keep talking trash over the internet, your real tough now!

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 178
I am pretty sure that Jexxen is refering to just under powering the subs a little bit (let's say 80%). Not a whole half of the subs rms.

WC
Unregistered guest
Yea 80% is alright, but your still not using the FULL potential.

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 73
Though it doesn't necessarily require the full rms to reach a subs full xmax.

WC
Unregistered guest
Yea but still, say you do only use 80%(I dont know why would would) but to get some good bass you would have to turn your HU to say 25. NOW lets say you overpower by 10%, you would only need to turn your HU to like 15 to get some excellent bass.

DUB
Unregistered guest
WC is right, people that underpower their subs aren't right. this is why, if you underpower subs people will turn it up to 35 and blow or fry their voice coils. I founf that out by seeing if my subs worked, so I ran them off the headunit, there was alittle bass, so I tuned the volume to 27, more bass but sounded like sh!t. I didnt give the sub it 350 RMS it NEEDS so I pushed it and fried it. If you underpower the subs wont be gettin what they need, so people turn it up all the and blow or fry thier subs. Overpowering is a must!

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 75
I understand having some headroom, def. helps. I think though some people just take it alittle out of context, and they see overpower and figure why not run obscene amounts over what is necessary.

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
"You would be dumb to underpower subs anyways."

I already stated it wasn't desirable to do. And I agree that, yes, one would be fairly unintelligent to underpower by large amounts of wattage due to the poor sound it would produce.

" I didnt give the sub it 350 RMS it NEEDS so I pushed it and fried it"

Something was wrong other than just being underpowered.

WC
Unregistered guest
About what darkseid said, here is the entire saying "It Better To OverPower Subs Than To UnderPower Them, Now That Said, Dont OverPower By Too Much, Say An Extra 100-200 Watts RMS" Some people here have some nice subs and are acutally pushing double the RMS the subs say they are.

Jex, that is what happens when you push subs or speakers, they will blow and or fry. Since you are feeding a small and weak signal to the subs pushing them will lead to some kind of damage. Since you paid $300 for a sub, WHY NOT USE THE $300.

Silver Member

Post Number: 651
"that is what happens when you push subs or speakers, they will blow and or fry. Since you are feeding a small and weak signal to the subs pushing them will lead to some kind of damage."

I've done that and haven't found it to be true. I'm not sure why one would think otherwise.

I feel like you're drifting away from the topic when you mention using the sub's full potential, and one explanation would be the majority of the time people don't have enough money left over to purchase an amplifier capable of fully powering the sub or want to use their pre-existing amplifier.

WC
Unregistered guest
No I said I can understand people not having money to TRULY power their subs by buying what they can. So what, people cant wait to make alittle more money? Or is it your parents wont give you enought to buy that 900 watt RMS amp? Wow you you NEVER burned or fryed out a sub or a speaker, I have not burned a sub, but I have with regular speakers.

DUB
Unregistered guest
forget all this, just buy a bass package, with the subs, sub box, and the right amp to power the fully. Nowdays these bass packages are getting better. now when you buy 2 subs or whatever you dont have go out build or find the right sub box and you dont need to buy that $80 100RMS X2 amp because the amp that comes will power them like wc says truly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 652
Yeah, unfortunately not many people know about the kits. I've also seen people who are given nice equipment and still can't afford to purchase the necessary equipment to fully utilize what was given to them...I wish they would sell it when that happens!

WC
Unregistered guest
Yea I once had an opertunity to buy this nice bass package, but no one would be able to sit in ext. cab area in my truck. The sub box was huge, and was degigned for the subs that were in it. It was a bandpass system.

Bronze Member
Username: Masse1369

Post Number: 56
if people bought high quality stuff then you people wouldnt be having this conversation. 100W off an audiobahn could do more damage than 1000W of a tru, zapco, arc, brax, sinfoni, mcintosh, genesis etc...if you buy the good stuff first, you dont have to worry about underpowering this or overpowering that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us