Fiberglass Sub enclosure

Bronze Member
Username: Zootreeves

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 24
Hi,

I have decided i want to go the full hog and remove the back seats of my punto and build a full fiberglass sub enclosure.

I think I've got the deisgn i want and I know how to put it all together but I've got a couple of questions...

If I just build it without considering the volume, which I know will be bigger than required then can i just fill it up with dampening material until it seems right or will it just sound crap?

I already have two decent subs and am planning to get two more, do i need to get the same type will it cause them to be out of phase if they are not?

Also do I need to partition the enclosure so each sub is seperated? And can I put a second battery inside the enclosire or will it mess with the sound?

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1228
don't fill the enclosure with damping material, what this does is slows down the air compression with the damping fibers (usually polyfill) and makes the enclosure act larger

NEVER get two different kinds of subs...it never works right, and it looks bad too..get another pair of the EXACT modl you have already

you dont need to have seperate chambers for the subs, its not a big deal...shared chamber is more effecient IMO

why woukld you put a bettery in the enclosure? no dont do it lol...if you need to access it for some reason, you won't be able to and youll get screwed

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 617
Maybe he doesn't have space for a second battery in the trunk other than the enclousure, heh.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 370
all i can say is fibreglass is a huge hassle .. ive pretty much put mine down for now.. not even halfway through and it took months to get where it is.. so before u go starting this massive fibreglass project keep in mind that your going to half to spend hundreds of dollars on fibreglass materials and your going to half to work countless hours to make it look half decent .. not to mention if this is your first time doing fibreglass there will be alot of trial and error to see how things work.. its when u gotta ask yourself.. do you really want to spend all this time and money for something that most likely will not perform as well as a normal box u can throw together in a weekend?

Bronze Member

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 25
Ok thanks for your help. I wanted to put the battery in the enclosure becuase i don't have much space, but i can probably find somewhere else.

I have bought 60 Sq Ft of iberglass I am not sure that will be enough? I have 11 weeks of basically nothing to do in the summer so i'll have plenty of time but this will be my first fiberglass project

I was going to build a frame out of chicken wire and mdf and maybe some shaped polystyrene foam. then staple a cloth onto it and fiberglass from there. Will that method be ok?

Bronze Member

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 26
Ok you say the box will not preform as well I have had an idea i think i will construct a standard mdf box to fit inside the enclosure and that means i can calculate the volume and reduce rattle and i won't need to seal the fiberglass i.e i can leave the bottom open to get at the battery and amps.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 378
building an mdf box first is one way of doing it .. then mould the fibreglass around it for a more accurate volume.. i would say 60 sq ft is likely not enough... keep in mind u should be doing at least 6 coats if its to enclose the subwoofer.. it obviously depends on how big the area is your doing but to give u some perspective i have one partially done for an 88 mustang gt hatchback.. i took the back seats out and id say ive used over 150 sq ft and its not half done...again though an mdf box first will cut down on fibreglass as u dont have to construct it for strength (you dont want to make it to weak though of course) .. a premade mdf box will take more work to make it look good though.. usually when u use mdf rings its easier to get a smoother look u can just stretch some fleece over it and it wont look to bad.. with a premade mdf box u will have o do a little more work with foam or mdf "ribs" however u want to do it.. i dont quiet understand what u plan with the batteries and amps... is there abough room after the sub enclosure is made, to make a nice amp/battery rack behind it?

Bronze Member

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 27
I will have enough space for an amp rack if I completely remove the rear seats (I was thinking about getting a sparco bucket seat and puttin it in the center or contruct my own fiberglass bench seat that gives me more space but that would turn a big project into a HUGE project).

The problem is I have 5 mutant 280W Amps and 1 reactor amp for my 6x9's and they take up loads of room. I don't know if I should sell them and get two more powerful and compact Amps what do you think?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 381
that would be ideal as more amps will use extra unecessary power too.. u could even get 1 amp if u get a really powerful one.. there are quiet a few out there ask around here for some info on em

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 26
Did anyone else who read about putting a battery in the enclsoure picure a 30 lb optima yellow top flying out of a fibreglass enclosure like a bat out of hell? :-) Very bad idea. Ben you should do a lot of research before you mix your first batch of resin:

http://caraudiotalk.com/forum/index.php?act=tutorials&CODE=cat&id=3

I highly recommend reading these first. Best of luck, and post some pictures of your progress.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us