MULTIPLE PORTS? advantage/disadv?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 366
what is the advantage/disadv to having more ports?.. i know u can cut down on the length of them but is that all? also.. say i use a 6 inch diameter port for a 15.. if i use 2 ports can i use 2 3 inch pipes?? can someone explain this to me ..im building a box for my old 15" type r and going to blow it so i can get a newer one under warrenty lol...

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 123
Yes and No,

Yes, the only difference is convenience. Sometimes you need a shorter but wider diameter port because of the geometrics of your design.

No, two 3" ports do not equal to one 6" port. Do the math. Find the area of the port you should use, then if you need to down size to a smaller diameter port you must compensate for the difference.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 372
sorry i dont follow.. ok so say u need a 6 inch port 20 inches long.. would 2 3 inch ports 10 inches long equal the same amount of port area or is it because u have switched to smaller diameters the length changes again as well??

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 729
I dont believe they cover blown voice coils under warranty because as you can guess that would mean that you were abusing it, like overpowering, But if you can get them to believe that there was some kind of flaw in the craftsmanship then that would be different.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2808
mark area of the port goes like this example ...a 4 inch port = 4 times 3.1416 = 12.5664

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2809
with your two 3 inch ports your spliting the length of the 6 inch port in two so yes two 3 inch ports have the same area as one 6 inch port and the 3 inches are half the length of the 6 inch

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 379
yeh the store i go to is pretty cool.. i beat the shite out of an old 12 inch type r and got a new one back no prob under the standard warrenty.. this one i even have an extended warrenty on

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 128
People like you deserve to get raped by large corporations selling you a crappy product made in china for 6000% overprice.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 380
not really ive blew a sub and an amp jl 500/1 dont ask me how and ive got new ones replaced for free .. if i had bought ebay specials i wouldt have gotten anything would i..i do get fairly decent prices ..i guess i just dont trust online buying

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 130
I m reffering to your attitude not the store price and policy. You wear and tear the product out, and then complain to get a free replacement when you were really at fault. Thats why insurance goes up and lawyers make ungodly incomes. what a terrible moral.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 382
well i know i made it sound like i was trying to break everything for the hell of it.. the jl accually had an internal problem with it from the factory so that wasnt my fault.. the type r 12 i said i beat the shite out of it because i did have 550 watts going to it which was 250 over the older models.. i asked the guys at the store "if i do this and something happens will it be covered" and they said yah no prob.. so a voice coil went and i took it back... same thing with the 15 i asked them can i give it 1000 watts and it will be covered if something happens .. again they said yah.. so why would i not do it? if it holds up and sounds good so be it .. if it blows the send me a newer model
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us