Where to buy amp fans

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 246
I have my 800watt amp gain set to 5/8 and its getting too hot too quick when I play the volume on my 2.5volt HU at 17-20 out of 40.

Where can I buy fans to keep it real cool so I can actually play it for a while w/o it heating up so quick?

Is there another problem? I have everything hooked up right.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 720
Amps get hot thats just what they do its normal.

Where in florida do you live?

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 863
first off your gain shouldnt be turnt up past half way..and another thing what kind of amp is it and also what ohm load do you have it wired at?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 247
I live in Crestview now, about 25 minutes from Deston.

I was just worried that my amp shouldn't be getting hot, but if you say it's a normal thing...

Also, my gain is only at about 62% (5/8) so not much above half.

Its an audiobahn A8000T mono amp wired at 2ohms rated at 800watts, but probly about 700-750.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3313
DPW, get a DMM and measure your subs. Make sure it's not below 2ohms.
If you need good fan, go visit your computer store. They have lots to choose from. Look for whisper quiet 5v cpu fans. They work great. It's better than the one inside A8000T's amp.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 249
I know a guy who majored in somthing that has to do with audio or w/e and he said my subs should be wired right how they are.

Would having my amp below 2ohms be a sign of my amp heating up? Where can I buy a DMM? How do I use it?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3315
Yes, having subs below 2ohms will drive A8000T crazy. Unlike high quality amps, cheaper ones tend to break down faster when driven past their limit.
You can purchase a DMM from Radio Shack for $10.
Never assume in electronics. Sometimes even when it's clearly marked, it's not always accurate.

Username: Livinloud7

Post Number: 2
What subs are your running power and VC Wise ?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 251
How do you work a DMM?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2804
is your amp this amp if so its only 4 ohms bridgable its the 8002t

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48597%26item%3D5782135977 %26

if not you may find that your subs are wired correctly but your impedance is dropping to low.

well see when you check with the dmm

the reason i say this is a guy came over to my cousins just a few days ago and said my amp keeps shutting off...i mean the amp was really warm but it shouldnt have been from heat...so i listened and the amp all but cut off at a particular bass note and came right back on...now i know your thinking the amp was clipping because he had the gains to high but I didnt hear any distortion ...so i waited and looked in the trunk at the amp while the song was playing and wham right at that same bass note the amp went into protection mode and right back on...anyway i theorize the ipedance was dropping to low and shutting down at that frequency .....another example is my cousins kenwood amp 600 watt that is only 4 ohm briged stable but is hooked up to a jl 12 w3 v2 d4 into two ohm and plays music all day and doesnt get hot.....why you ask... i think the impedances reached dont drop too low too affect it during music and he listens to rap and stuff

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2805
the kenwood is hooked up 2 ohm bridged

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 732
Well now that i think about it some amps use the casing as a heatsink and some have internal fins and some have external fins so every situation is different. But as an example my friends brothers amp gets hot as a B!tch, like actaully burn your damn finger and i know the gain is set right and the the impendance is ok for the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1274
He has the A8000T. its basically just a mono A8002t. I had an 8002T for a while before i sold it off to hunter, right after modding it.

If hunter warren still has the amp i'm sure he's take a picture for you.

I beleive it has a 60mm fan inside it right now, what i did was buy a 60-80mm fan adapter as well as an 80mm fan that had the ability to move a large amount of air. And a 3pin-2pin harness to connect the fan to the amp.

If memory serves me that helped alot with my cooling of the amp, Audiobahn amps do get very hot, 95% of amps heat up to a good temperature during operation, its just what electronics do.

All electronics heat up, your computer, your headunit, dvd player, ps2, the list goes on.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1275
added note: It will require a little dremel/cutting wheel work to open up the hole in the top of the amp to accomidate the larger fan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us