No Bass, where is my problem?

Username: Gurs

London, London United Kingdom

Post Number: 1
Hi, this is my 1st posting...
I have a Sony head unit, with a sub out, and I recently wired up a Kenwood amp and sub, and it worked fine.

Unfortunatly, the power cable came out (someones bag pulled it out...), so I thought I would put it back in, when I did this, there were a few sparks, and the amp didn't work...

After that, I:
1) Checked the 2 fuses (near the batt, and on the amp) -> they both look fine.
2) I then bought a cheap amp from eBay, but when I connect it, the protection circuit comes on... I thought it may just be a crap amp... so ->
3) I bought a new Sony amp, however, I connected this and it still doesn't work!

I have checked the sub itself, and this works when plugged into my home system. How can I check if the amp is working??

With my 2nd amp, I only needed to plug in the RCA and the remote wires to get the protection light to come on (No 12V power)...

Please help, its really p*ssing me off! and costing me too much money!

Bronze Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 89
what awg wire r u using for power?

Post Number: 2
erm, Im not too sure, Im quite new to all this. I bought an Autoleads amp witing kit, with gold connecters, the power cable is about 5mm thick plus 3-4mm of casing... Hope that helps, but I don't think its the cable as it used to work with the old amp.

is there any other fuses I need to think about?

Bronze Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 98
check your ground

Bronze Member
Username: Tatortot324

Post Number: 38
If your protection light comes on then its 1 of 2 problems check the fuses in your car also and then check the fuse connected to your power cable if u have the normal one the tube fuse thing its a peice of crap they break easy check out someplace like wal mart or meijers or something and pick up a new amp fuse kit and that should solve your problem also check the connections make sure no wires are touching anythign it could also short out things

Username: Earplugsneeded

SAN MATEO, CA USA

Post Number: 1
ONCE A POWER TOUCHES GROUND 75%OF THE TIME THE WIRE IS NO GOOD AFTER THAT YOU NEED TO START WITH A NEW WIRE- EXPERIENCED THIS B4
TRY KEEPING THE AMP CONNECTED REMOTE & GROUND AND RUN WIRE STRAIGHT FROM(BATT TO AMP) NO CAP NO FUSES AND TEST???????
ALOT OF THE TIMES FUSES LOOK OK BUT NOT THIS WILL TEST THAT
ALSO CHECK YOUR REMOTE FOR GROUNDED WIRES MELTS OR CONNECTOR LOSEN
GOOD LUCK

my first advise givin-hope it works 4 ya

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 604
Was your shift key stuck or something? heh

Post Number: 3
I found the problem! but I don't think I would have without you guys...

Basically: I think the ground and power touched each other, and the place where the ground touches the body had oxidised, and there was no proper contact... So, I sandpapered the connection and tried it again, and it worked!

Thank you all!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us