12 W7 or T212D2

Username: Dualgoldix

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 3
I have an orion 2100 hcca DR powering a 12 W7 but am having trouble because the W7 runs at 3.5 ohm I am wondering if i should buy a rockford T2 12" at 2 ohm which would get more from that amp? what do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2137
What is that amps specs?

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 4
not sure but its old school and i know a guy at tweeter electronics says if wired correctly its possable to pull close to 2600 watts

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 5
he says its capable of 8 ohms all the way down to .25 ohms; dont need that low but im happy its possable

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2165
Well, if it can really do 2600 watts rms, the w7, or most 1 sub won't be able to handle it. Thats to much power for even a w7.:-) lol
With that kind of power, you might go with 2 subs, or maybe look in to some DD's,... or something like that.
It would be a lot easier if you knew the specs to the amp.

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 8
well 2600 watts and .25 ohm is all here-say until I find someone with a spec sheet and wiring diagram I guess im out of luck? by the way I already have a w7 but its made to run on 3 ohm, im told the only amps that will not harm it are JL 1000/1 and JL 500/1 it runs fine on the orion but tends to bottom out on certain tones so I found the fockford which specs and enclosure are almost the same, now im wondering if it would be worth the money to save the JL for later and buy the rockford now?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2170
Who told you that the only amps that would work with the w7 is the 1000/1, or the 500/1? That's retarted!

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 9
Shane at tweeter electronics. those amps are the only ones designed to support 3 or 1.5 ohms

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 10
I found specs on that amp it peaks at or around 1600 watts at 2 ohms

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2175
JL amps are stable from 1.5 ohms all the way to 4 ohms... I mean... they put out the same r.m.s power from 1.5/4 ohms, and 11.5V/14V. You can power a w7 with any amp, as long as the rms ratings/ohms match up.

Can you post the exact specs of that amp... this should help a lot.

Bronze Member

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 11
I talked with a fellow from www.Justrepair.com he told me some things but I will be receiving full specs via E-Mail soon and will be sure to post when they get here. I would still like to know about the T2 because it would have to be close enough to use the same enclosure and amp. I own a honda accord setup for show, I dont show the car but I like the effect on onlookers and friends and if that amp is hurting a speaker as costly as a W7 why not replace with something close and save a good sub for later use in my ford ranger project?

Bronze Member

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 12
the reason for my need to replace only the sub is because the car was built around the system it has an sony head unit all preamped to three amps. one orion 225 hcca pushin a set of MBQuart components in the doors, another orion 225 hcca handling a set of MBQuart 6x9's in the rear deck, and one orion 2100 hcca throwin power to my JL W7 the subwoofer enclosure was built from fiberglass molded to fit the trunk and painted to match the car( house of colors lime w/ lime candy coat) my ampracks are also fiberglassed into the trunk so really the only thing I can change is the subwoofer without major mods.

for pics of my car/system let me know on my e-mail just copy and paste this post in the message

Bronze Member

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 13
Dualgoldix@yahoo.com

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2179
Well, to anser you're question... you won't notice a lot of difference changing subs. You might get a little more spl with the RF, but I'd think you would lose some sq though.

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 13
i would just turn the bassboost on the amp down a little so the sub doesn't bottom out.....cuz with the fosgate bottoms out to.....most of the subs out there will bottom out on a certian freq. i have seen my w7 bottom out...i turned the bass boost down just a notch on the amp and i didn't loose the loudness i just lost the bottom out problem. i see no harm in the ohm load for your amp cuz at 3 ohm it's not pushin the full power the amp puts out......but it's not pushin the minimum either. i would say your pushin close to 1100 to 1200 watts to it by educated guess. the sub can take 1500watts....so i don't see it blowing from the juice or the ohms cuz your amp will put out 3ohm resistance......it just won't list the power rating cuz most subs are either 2ohm or 4ohm load and some cases 1ohm. jl just happend to be different and make a 3ohm sub or 1.5 ohm sub if you get the 13.5 W7.

Bronze Member

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 14
ill try the bass boost

thanx casey
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us