Question for the pro's...

Bronze Member
Username: Singhsane

Scarborough, Toronto Canada

Post Number: 32
Alrite today i got my speakers replaced cuz they were destorting and they were under waranty so they were free of charge. As the guy was installing them i was jus talking to him n telling him i wanted something more powerful and he told me the current speakers i had were perfectly fine the only thing i would need to upgrade is a better up that provided clean power...the speakers im talkin bout are

JBL GTO936
Size: 6 x 9
Sensitivity: 91 dB
Frequency Response: 50-21,000 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 100W
Peak Power Handling: 300W
Impedance: 4 ohms

Alrite so then he goes to tell me that hes running the same speakers in his car and hes feeding them a "clean" 1200 Watts RMS...is that possible???....also i asked him how the infinity perfect series speakers would compare with these speakers and he said they were exactly the same cuz there both the same company, true???

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 398
maybe if he had 12 of em in his lol

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4075
"Alrite so then he goes to tell me that hes running the same speakers in his car and hes feeding them a "clean" 1200 Watts RMS...is that possible???"

Anythings possible, but it's just stupid to put 1200 watts RMS on a pair of free air 6x9s. Don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer in overpowering speakers and giving a good bit of headroom, but 12x the rated power of some 6x9s is just ridiculous. The oval shape of 6x9s lead them to distort much quicker and to a higher degree than cone speakers, plus the fact that you'll realize their full potential with the rated power. 6x9s aren't designed to be high end either, they're designed for fairly good all around performance. The motor designs, linearity, suspension all aren't among the best in most cases. Those speakers will blow from either thermal damage or reaching mechanical limits with fractions of the power that a 1200 watt amp puts out, you'd have to really be careful with it. I'd do 200 at most(and still be careful with it as free air speakers can easily reach their limits much easier than a speaker in an enclosure), if I were to put any more, I'd do it on either front component speakers or look at getting a sub. If you're putting 1200W RMS on something, make sure it's a sub.

"also i asked him how the infinity perfect series speakers would compare with these speakers and he said they were exactly the same cuz there both the same company, true???"

That's like saying a Chevette is the same as a Corvette because Chevy makes both of them. There is a large difference between JBL and Infinity, while they are both owned by Harmon-Kardon, they still differ in engineering and the types of people that they are aiming toward. Perfects are the better speaker for sound quality, they get pretty loud too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us