Dual Ohm

justwitheraway
Unregistered guest
Okay, I've been reading up on car audio lately and get the basics of it, however, Ohms screw me up. I realize the difference between parallel and series wiring but, what does Dual Ohm mean? I plan on getting 2x Alpine SWR-1242D Subs, or JL 12W3v2, but the "Dual Ohm" (2+2 and 4+4) screw me up. Can anyone please explain this to me. (Also which subs do you think are better, give me an opinion, I plan on getting an Alpine CDA-9853 Head Unit and 2 front speakers as well. I need amp suggestions also) Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 32
Dual ohm voice coils basically refers to the resistance in the wires that are used to power the subs. Amplifiers give different wattages at different impedancies or resistances. So with 4-4 you can wire them to 8ohm or 2 ohm and with 2-2 you can wire a speaker to 4ohm or 1ohm it all depends on the amp that you want to get. What amp are you lookin at. I have 2 alpine type R's and they are nice but JL makes great stuff depends if you want 1000watt amp or 600.

justwitheraway
Unregistered guest
Im not really sure what amp Im gonna use, I gotta figure out how Im going to hook up my 2 subs.. Any suggestions? Im basically looking for a great system so maybe JBL amp or something, but trying to keep the price down as well. Do you have 2-2 or 4-4 Type R's? And what amp do you have? If you were to wire 2, 4-4 subs (parallel), to say, the JBL GTO1201.1 II at 2 ohms running 1100 RMS watts, would this be 1100 to each sub or 600 to each sub? (I realize this is too many watts for either of the subs I listed)

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
To run 2 Type R in a parallel on one amp you need a 1ohm stable amp. Which is hard to get with a low THD. If your gong to do 2 Type R's.Get 2 MRD-605 amps.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 612
OR... Get 2 4+4 DVC type R's and one amp that puts out 1000 watts at 1 ohm and wire the subs in parallel/parallel. This amp for example.
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=295&1=296&3=2043
both sub will recieve there RMS of 500.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us