Amp keeps going into "protection" mode

Bronze Member
Username: Luc

Post Number: 38
I have a Directed 600d amp that used to work great in my other car, but in my new car played well for a while, but then started cutting.

What can be causing this prob, it burnt my fuse that is on the wire that brings in my 12V.

Now whenever my volume is turned up a notch it cuts.

Please assist.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 281
What size fuse does the amp have? Next what gauge power wire did you use? What size fuse did you have on the power wire also? If I had to guess I would say your ohms are to low for the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
the amp has 2 x 30amp fuses and i have a 35 amp fuse on the wire.

i have a splitter that comes in as 4 gauge and splits into two 8 gauge ones....one goes to my amp and the other to my power cap.

but it worked fine before, why the sudden break in power?

i opened the amp and saw two of the bigger capacitors in it slightly bulgy at the top, not sure if they are gone or if thats the way they supposed to be. they are really big ones.

please assist.

Bronze Member
Username: Qup2cit

Australia

Post Number: 18
same thing happened to me. i took my amp out of my old car which it worked fine in, but when i put it in my new car it kept cutting out. i rewired it all and found that where i had grounded it was effecting the amp. try changing where u grounded it, see if it helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Yeah, thanks, i will try that and come back..i was thinking of the ground not being good enough.

Thanks, will keep you posted.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 286
You need a 60 amp fuse on your power wire. You can use 100 amp fuse on 4 gauge. The in-line fuse is there to protect the wire not the amp. If you amp has 2 x 30 amp fuses and is a way over rated it will pull more than 35 amps on the hot wire from the battery. Look into the ground wire 80% of the time that's the trouble.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Thanks, i'll do that

Username: Stereofreak1977

Thunder bay, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
i would have to same one of 2 things..either bad ground, or you have an ohm load that exceeds what your amp can handle as "stable", first thing i would check tho would be the ground, give the area your putting a killer scrubbing, and make sure IT'S METAL! or at least a part of the chassis..

Bronze Member
Username: Basshd

Post Number: 56
Yes, use a digital multimeter to insure you have a good grounding point and report back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us