Enclosure size mean interior of box or space left over after sub is place inside?

Bronze Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 27
When i figure out the dimensions of my sealed enclosure, do I have to figure out the cubic ft. left over AFTER the sub is placed inside... or is that already figured into the number given to me by the manufacturer of the subwoofer? Really important. Please help.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 276
The subs I have list cubit feet before the sub are in. For a sealed box you don't have to be dead on the cubit feet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks.
But, can you answer another quick one for me?
Which is worse: accidently make a bigger box?
or
accidently make a smaller box?

...I appreciate it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Byrumjr:
I read your answer in "amp setting/clipping" - and I was wondering if you could explain the purpose and effect of the amp settings...? Like the subsonic filter, and that switch to choose between 0 and 180???
I just need some help, you know?
thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 278
If the box is sealed I don't think it matter as long as it is not real big or little. I might hear some feed back on this but I would say as long as you are 0.30 cubit feet close it will sound fine. If your box is to big in cubit feet you can put a brace in it or a book something to take up some of the cubit feet to make it less. Too little stuff it full of poly fell or cotton.

The subsonic filter cuts off any sound below what you have it set at. I think it more for ported box but I might be wrong. This is so your sub does not bottom out.

That switch to choose between 0 and 180??? I don't know what that is. If you had a photo or what amp is it .

Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 8
Sean,
By what brand is your sub made. Some companies list the encosure size while others list the actaul air space the sub will work best at. I build boxes for people so I may be familiar with the specs for your sub, or otherwise, send the company an email.

The switch between 0 and 180 sounds like a low pass frequency cutoff but I don't know of an amp company that lets you set the LP frequency to 0 Hz. Is it a Class D mono amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Byrumjr: Thanks, man. So, if I want my sub to hit lower frequencies... adjust it to higher or lower on the subsonic dial? The lower the setting, the lower the freq of bass I'll be able to achieve - correct?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4185
sean, u have to adjust it to what your ported box is tuned to, toehrwise you will damage your sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Scubasteve: Thanks for trying to help too! I really need it! Anyway, Image Dynamics. I have an IDMAX10v.3D2. (I'm sooo stoked!!!)

Also, yes, it is exactly a class D mono amp. How'd you know that??? Cool, man. It's a Digital Audio 900 watt class D mono amp (1-ohm stable) - that's how i'll be wiring my sub too, by the way.

You obviously know your $hit - so thanks. I'll be awaiting your advise.
(I've already got a sheet of 3/4" MDF, wood glue, staples, and screws - ready to go!!!)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
subfanatic: I'm going to be using a sealed enclosure, though. I don't have too much room... more than likely it'll be in the front passenger foot area. (I had it there before with my last sub and it vibrates less and hits WAY nice!)
what do you know about sealed???
thanks, man.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4189
what do u mean what do i know about sealed???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
I mean... you said to "adjust it to what my ported box is tuned to" - right?
I'm just saying that it's not ported, it's sealed. Then, I was asking for your expertise on sealed enclosures. (I thought you misunderstood me) Anyway, no offense intended there, man. I'm happy to have your help.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4203
haa, well with a sealed box the box is auto tuned to the subs resonent frequency. you need to set it how you want it, my old setup consisted of a sealed box with a 10 inch al, and i had the low pass set to everyhting under 80 hrtz

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 9
Hey Sean,

Good choice on the sub and the sealed enclosure. Since its sealed, you'll get the tightest possible bass, and you don't need to worry about a subsonic filter because the air in the box will dampen the sub's excursion, preventing it from being damaged by ultra low frequency sound reproduction. Also, I have a good deal of experience installing ID subs and the .6 to .9 cu. ft. they recommend is the volume of the enclosure, so you don't have to worry about figuring in the volume of the driver. Also, I've never used that amp before, but since you'll be driving a 1 ohm load, make sure your amp is in well ventilated area as a precaution. If this is your first box, a piece of advice is to make sure that the wood is square, and all cuts you make are square. Use more screws than you think you should need, and pre-drill everything.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
sub & steve:
so what setting should i set on the side of my amp for the best performance? here's everything on the side of my amp:
"low pass" dial
"subsonic" dial
"phase shift" switch
"level" dial
"master/slave" switch
What's the best way to put each one, you guys?also, what's the correct way to tune my amp?Thanks again!!!! You guys are the best!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
so, if I understand right... those duhickies on the amp only apply when using a ported enclosure... other wise don't worry about them with a sealed box? Is this right?
Sorry to sound like an idiot - but HEY, I gotta learn somehow.

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 12
You don't have to worry about the subsonic filter but you may want to set it to 10 Hz or so just for the hell of it. (20 Hz is considered the lowest audible tone) The "low pass" dial is the crossover point that your amp starts cutting power above. You'll want to set that to the "high pass" crossover point on your midrange speakers to avoid overlapping between the sub and midranges. Also you don't want your sub playing into the mid-bass range, so set the "low pass" on your sub to between 100 and 150 Hz, depending on how much bass you want your mids to handle. I highly recommend reading the manual for your amp if you have it. Setting the gain is a bit complex so you'll want to read up on how to do it if you don't have voltage meters and some other tools.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 610
the 0-180 switch is the phase...... Its just like reversing the + and - and Its used to make sure 2 subs dont cancel each other out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Scubasteve:
Thanks!!! This has probably been the single most informative and prompt assistance I've ever received on this forum.
( no offense, guys )
By the way, I read the manual and it has directions, but...
there's a scientific way of doing it with voltage meters??? If so, how? Like I said before, thanks, man. You're awesome.

Everyone:
Thanks for all your help. I wish there was something I could help you all out with too, but I doubt it...

Araknid:
So, if I'm using one sub - leave the switch on 0 or 180 (I'm assuming 0, right?) I appreciate it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us