Eclipse SW9122 vs. Diamond Audio TDX12D4

Bronze Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 43
What do you guys feel between these two subs? The Diamond handles more power and is a bit cheaper. Any opinions welcome!

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 428
both nice subs

Bronze Member
Username: Jonklly5

Post Number: 75
im getting one of the 2 most likely, i heard the tdx in a store they sounded great of a mmats amp. Never heard the eclipse ti but i really wanna kno how they compare. GOOD THREAD!

Username: Panocha

Post Number: 2
I had a 12" diamond audio sub and it hit for just one sub it was ran by an old punch40.2. i

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
which iis better and what should i push them with, is the d9 amp any good

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I've heard the Eclipse, and some lower end Diamond Audio's. The Diamond's handle more, so they require a bigger amp, but I'm only running one, two is overkill in my opinion...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
It's a toss up. I just heard the Diamonds, and they're quite a bit louder than the Eclipse, but require a lot more power. The Eclipse run 1500watt max, the Diamond's run 1500watt RMS. Max is still unknown... I'm going to buy the Diamond Audio: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/csexpo/tddiau12tdxs.html

And the Rockford Fosgate T20001bd Amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=2808&affiliate=froogle.

Then wire the Diamond (dual voice coil) to 2ohms. That'll give it the 1500watt RMS.

How's that sound guys?

Bronze Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 97
If I were you,then I would buy the Eclipse Ti(sw9122) over that sub anyday.
but its just my opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4128
its mine too

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
How come? Any particular reason? Help is much appreciated!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Also: what's the best place to buy them? And what would be a good amp? I'm thinking the P5002 Fosgate for the Eclipse, it handles 1500watt max.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
na u cud do alot better...how bout an xtant x1001, hifonics makes a 1500watt amp, or the JBL GTO 1201.1. U dont want to match a sub with its peak power handling u want to match it somewhere close to its rms, with the eclipse, u cud give it a little more. try 800-900 wtts rms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
So... Eclipse or Diamond. What would be the pros and cons? Also, I want the peak power of the amp to be around the RMS of the sub? Is that correct?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4130
NO lol, u match rms with rms, dont even think about peak, hell if i wanted to i wcoud claim my eclipses peak power at 3000000 watts PeAK and 200 rms, peak dont mean a dam thing in this game, rms is what you need, but pros of the eclipse-strong tc4 motor, 300 oz magnet, great sq, wont hurt your alt or wallet, gets loud OR clean OR BOTH.
diamond-havent heard lol, so con-hurts alternator
con of eclipse-not free lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Thanks man. I think I'll go with the Eclipse and keep my Fosgate P5002. It runs 1500watt max, same as the sub. RMS is 750watt on the sub, and 500watt RMS on the amp. It should sound alright?

Also, how would one Eclipse compare to most other systems? I just want one sub that will make it hard to see... ROFL! I have a lower end Eclipse right now, and I'm impressed.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4133
what eclispe u have now??? and no, get a new amp, that amp will NOT power the sub efficiently!

Silver Member
Username: Disturbedpriest

Post Number: 123
I have the diamond audio tdx 10 it hits really hard but i am on my 2nd one.. they seem to blow easily :-) the guy said i couldnt blow it but hey maybe he is a dumb@ss.... oh well.. i would get the eclipse.. I am selling my diamond when i get it back in 3 weeks and getting me a ti, hey subfan will my mtx 1501d pushes around 1100 watts rms at 2 ohms be over kill for a eclipse ti?? and can i fit the 15 in my camaro???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Subfanatic: what would you recommend? I love Fosgate. I've always had good luck with them. But maybe it's time to change brands...

Disturbed: a 15 should fit in there, just get a box that fits. I have two 12" in my '82 Camaro, so a 15" should fit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Would a Fosgate T10001bd supply enough power to it? http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/ez2rockford/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?Item Key=10063516&CategoryDesc=Power%20Amplifiers

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid, but I want to do this right...

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4141
it could do a decent job, id get the t20002

Bronze Member
Username: Lowrollins10

Champaign, IL

Post Number: 99
get a zapco amp...lol or ARC maybe a BRAXX.. those would make a Ti sound Nice

Bronze Member

Champaign, IL

Post Number: 100
Subfan you ever hear a IDMAX? How does that compare to a TI or hell just the AL Eclipse?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4145
id max is a little less clean than the al and gets louder though, but the ti is a little less clear of that but gets louder though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Why would u go with the T20001bd? Just curious...

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4148
more power

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Yes... MO POWA! Heh... I've decided to get two of these beasts. Found a good deal for 500 for two of them, brand new. Would the T30001bd power them? 3000watt RMS at 1ohm... IMO, it should. But you guys are the pros. Or is there a cheaper route? 1200 bucks is a good sum of money...

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 197
JAKE you have 2x250A alternators!! WOW, that is tight. What kind of car is that in? BTW, I have a 1990 Toyota Camry(lol). Where could be a good place to get a cheap alternator for it. The stock one is 80A I believe, but i need a little more. About how much would it cost to buy one and get it installed? Can they just upgrade my current alternator? I don't know much about that kind of stuff! LOL :-) Thanks man!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I actually own an auto repair shop here, so I have hookups. It's a 1997 Jeep Cheroke. I'd like to get pics, but I'm very limited on time here. I'm looking at getting two Eclipse SW9122's for $500.00 + shipping for a system in my 2001 Chevy S-10 truck with the extended cab.

I'll look into an alternator, if anything, I can sell you one. I think you can get 200amp alternators for that. Bolts in, all you have to do is run a bigger wire from the alternator to the battery.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Subfanatic: I'm looking at two of those SW9122, what would you recommend for an amp? Could you explain a bit on how to get an amp that's best for your subs? I'm a little shaky...

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4161
well basically the fundamentals on amps are these four qualities, rms output, what that rms output is at what ohm, build quality, under/overrated, for example, hifonics has bad reliability issues and is ovverrated, so its not really putting out 1500 watts rms it puts out 1430, and is built badly, but is cheap, so thats good, but if u get a good amp to push it that is underrated, for example, zapco, xtant, jl, they are underrated by 10 percent and more lol, so thats what you need to know, im hoping you know ohms laws, but if u dont ill go into a little detail right now to help ya out if u dont, basically ohms is the measure of resistance in current, lower the ohm, lower the resistance which means MROE POWER, right, so since the subs are DVC 4 ohms, which means you havet o wire each sub by itsself to 8 ohm or 2 ohm, or u can wire both for 16 ohms, 4 ohms, or 1 ohm, and since 1 ohm is a small amount of resistance you can get a good amount of power out of it, but some amps cant handle so much current at once and they arent stable, but the rule of thumb is, every time u halve and ohm, you double the power, so if we had a perfect amplifier and unlimited power source then lets do an example,. with this "perfect" amp, it starts at 100 watts rms at 8 ohms, then u halve it, get 4 ohms and 200 watts, then 2 ohms and 400 watts, 1 ohm 800, .5 is 1600 .25 is 2400, and so one and so forth until you approach 0, but if u know basic math you know by division you cant get zero so you have an unlimited amount of power, so these subs are dvc 4 ohms, wire them together get 1 ohm, and find an amp that does 1500-2000 watts rms at 1 ohm times 1 channel and it will auto split the power to each sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Yea, I've read up heavily on it, but wanted to make sure I had it all fingered out. So the T20001bd does 2000watt RMS at 1ohm, good. I don't want to spend a $1,000 bucks on an amp...

But... That'd be wicked...

Hey, thanks, you're helping me a lot. I'm a Ham Radio operator, and I'm glad to see other forums that help "newbies" out. I've been into car systems for awhile, but not this deep...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Yea, I've read up heavily on it, but wanted to make sure I had it all fingered out. So the T20001bd does 2000watt RMS at 1ohm, good. I don't want to spend a $1,000+ bucks on an amp...

But... A T30001bd would be wicked...

Hey, thanks, you're helping me a lot. I'm a Ham Radio operator, and I'm glad to see other forums that help "newbies" out. I've been into car systems for awhile, but not this deep...

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4175
lol, but since u have hoookups, any chance you could get me a nice alternator for my car, or 2 and teach me how to hook them up or anything

and no prob man, everyone here is really helpful, i dont know if ud believe me but i got into car audio january of this year and im only 17 lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
I'm only 17 too... Heh. Tell me what your vehicle is, and I'll look. If anything, I can get a kit to make your stock alternator an H.O. that's what I did in my Honda Accord. It's a lot cheaper.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4179
lol that would be tight, its a 1998 plymouth neon expresso, im thinking i want either a 300 amp alt, or 2 200's 2 250's or 2 300's, or 3 150's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
I'll see what I can find out. Mounting two alternators on a FWD car is a bish. I'd go with the biggest H.O. you can find and put two big batteries in the trunk and get a good cap. That'll handle about anything. I've done a lot of installs. But I wire them, not design them :P.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
I need engine size and if it's a manual or automatic before I can get quotes.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4204
its a 2.0 DOHC, inline 4 automatic

Silver Member

Champaign, IL

Post Number: 105
just to one high output sub it will be more reliable.

Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 10
Hey Jake,
I don't have any mechanics around here that I can trust for honest info, but I was wondering if you could look up an alternator (no more than 200 amps necessary) for a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L V-6. I'd really appreciate the help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
I'll look those bad boys up for all three of you tommorrow. I'm in Idaho, so I can't install the for you, but if you run into trouble, I can help. The installs are pretty straight forward. I'd love to help you guys out. I know having all my "connections" here is extremely useful. If anything, you can send me your old one and I can rebuild it for you.

Subfanatic: Hey, what about that box? What's the best size? The subs will be here Tuesday. Also, do I get a discount on the box if I hook you up? LOL!

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4216
if u hook me up all u have to do is pay shipping lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
How many cubic feet would it be?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 199
Hey you guys are 17? Me too! LOL. Hey Jake are you going to look up some alts that will work in my toyota? Thanks man. BTW, how much would it cost to just get my stock alt upgraded? Thanks bro.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Actually, it'll be a bit until I can look it up. My boss isn't gonna be around until Monday. But we're going to start offering H.O. alternators and kits for cheap. If we make ten bucks off a deal, that's worth it to us. So be patient, we'll get you guys going in a bit.

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 17
Yea no rush at all man, I'm just really glad you can help me out. Thanks again Jake

mr. dumb
Unregistered guest
i want em both

Water
Unregistered guest
Jake Hill
I have had my T10001 Bench at 1400 Rms at 1ohm
this T series is underated Rockford seriously overated all amplifiers last year and are making up for it
I cant imagine what the t2 amp or t3 amp has at 1ohm
I dont no how the eclipse sub will handle such an underated amp becareful with your good subs

I need a 340 amp alt how does these kits work?

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
I decided on the Eclipse DA7232 4kw amp. Just loooking for boxes right now.

You rebuild the alternator with bigger components and it'll bring your supplied amperage up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us