SQ and SPL difference in a 12L7 and 12L5????

Anonymous

i wanna know if there is a noticable difference in an L7 and an L5 12???

i wanna put one or the other in a prefab vented ProBox....

i have a 600 watt Rms amp that i wanna use also...

if i use this 600watt amp will the L7 or the L5 sound better or be louder???

also would a JL w6v2 12 be better or louder than the kickers on the same amp in the same box....(with a round cutout though..)

Username: Dan3

Post Number: 6
i would go with the l7,
i've been through so many of the l5's its just a joke. The l7's i got now meanwhile actually sound better than my l5's mainly because they don't have to excurse out that far to produce same amount of sound, i.e. bigger basket on the sub. The JL, although i haven't dealt with em will have much better SQ but i doubt the spl would be greater...i'm not really sure, solo's are always loud for their size.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 214
the 12w6v2 would be louder...have high SPL and have much greater SQ since L7s are mostly SPL subs..

12w6's would definately not dissapoint you and they take less power too, 400w rms i believe

Post Number: 7
don't listen to bacon he's biased... either way i dun know... maybe glasswolf can help yah out

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
um

kicker cannot compete with JL audio on any level or speakers to subs to amps.. proven fact, ask any car audio entheusiast and they will tell you the same

a 12w6v2 with a 300/2 or something with around 350-400w rms will beat those kickers out, and it requires less cubic feet for a sealed or ported box and less power for about the same, if not more thump and MUCH MUCH greater sound quality

go ask anyone out there who knows something about car audio: S12L7 or 12w6v2
99.9% will say 12w6v2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
GoD, ur just a moron sometimes really, okay so have you ever heard any JL's in your life? ...maybe...Anywho, i can guarantee you that a the kicker will have more spl but worse sq than a JL. I've had mine side by side with a friends(he has jl) sure i couldn't hear his cuase mine has more SPL. BUT his sound quality was better. s12l7 vs `12w6v2, kicker hands down in THIS comparison, but btw kicker does have a competitve spl sub called the solox and no jl can come close to it, and bacon just to let you in on some secrets about stress points on the kickers, they designed the baskets on these things differently so there wouldn't be any problems with stress points, the reinforced braces distribute the stress, thus NO PROBLEMS, i can't stand hearing you say that on every thread when you don't know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
lol why do you think those kickers voice coils pretty much explode in competitions? STRESS ON THEM btw, a 13w6v2 is a much better buy than a 12w6v2, 6mm more xmax, and 30 square inches more thus alot more SPL with same SQ

and daniel i have heard JLs in my life - anything froma 10w0 to a 13w7 and 18w3, the 13w7 by far most impressive

a 12w6 has 17 mm xmax 1 way while a S12L7 has 13mm xmax 1 way right? what makes you so sure that the added surface area makes the kicker "a hands down choice" in this comparison?

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
sorry...not explode, but unravel is a better description

and not to mention, how much more INeffecient those kickers are, needing 750w rms to get 13mm xmax 1 way while a 12w6v2 needs 400w rms to get 17mm xmax...you can run two 12w6's almost full power RMS in place of a kicker...another reason i like JL

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
hey dan i just ran across this, guys check it out

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W6v2_Review.pdf

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
That their pdf is coming off of a jl site, you know every company can just about get that done. And anywho, stop threadjacking everything here, when people ask questions like should i get alpines or Brahma's or whatever you'll here type GET JL'S I ADVERTISE FOR THEM AND THATS ALL I KNOW, EVEN THOUGH I"M IGNORING YOUR QUESTION. Yah....threadjacking....a lil' annoying in ur case. Also, i have a jl dealer near where i live so i talk to the folks, and i've heard that excursion bullshiet about the jl's and how great it is. The point being, they had some kicker L7's in there too, and they said if your going for spl you should go for these, but the sq is much better in jl's. And that power, its needed to power those beasts, for there great SPL. and i have no idea what xmax is for a 12L7 all i know is that its a crap loud more spl than a 12w6. Another thing, solo-x KILLIN the Competitions~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
btw, voice coil unraveling problems, that was 5 years ago, when the solo-baric was still a conventional idea, it has been fixed for sometime now, if you spent some more time on other sides besides JL(yes i go there to "beyond the curve") then you would know something, just leave the informative guys on this board to be Glasswolf and Tbone. (And don't even think i consider myself like a know alot, cause i don't thats why i don't go around hijacking other threads advertising my bullshiet)

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
lol u so g@y man i dont hijack threads like you say, i reccomend better subs for their money like instead of type r's, get a pair of shivas for $80 less a sub..much better buy

and there are other subs that are competitive to JL w7 series for alot less...for example, Elemental Design A series subs the 15 inch has 29mm 1 way xmax and the 12 inch has 26mm

i praise JL so much because they are such a good manufacturer daniel not just because i like how they look or whatever...i can tell you right now a 12w7 puts out a sh!tload more SPL than a 12l7 and i know someone who has two 500/1's bridged to a 13w7 and hes hitting in excess of 150 dB with ONE 13w7

yea thats what i thoght dan...dont just come on this site and start flaming people who know more than you and actually recognize great companies (ED, ID, JL, adire, MMats, etc..) kickers good, but not great there are better buys out there than kicker so step offf biatch

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Lol, i can tell you know nothing about car audio, stop embarrising yourself, xmax has way less to do with spl than you think. Your a youngin aren't you(like below 16)? probably considering you look on the net and are obssesed with Xmax. Did you now xmax is measured distance from the voice coils? JL voice coils are pretty far back from the sub cone buddy. You should at least learn more about xmax before you talk about it like you know anything about car audio, lay off the boards, you do more harm to peoples systems than good, lol. Xmax=less to do with spl than you think. Step off of this biatch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
ok, explain to me how one 13w7 can achieve excess of 150 dB if xmax has not much to do with spl?

if xmax isnt a great factor in calculating or achieving SPL, what is? what other things contribute other than cone surface area?

DIDDY
Unregistered guest
HAHAHA, I guess BIG D told you bacon.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hmmm, well considering most people who have a 13w7 or any w7 for that matter have a box thats five feet by three for each sub(a lil' exaggeration) thats where your getting your sound buddy, W7 is a large enclosure sub there. I just went to there dealer again yesterday(they sell other brands too) and i noticed a 13w7 there in a box and it was no joke 5 feet by 3feet...it was huge. And see now, the solo-baric is a small-enclosure sub designed to make the maximum sound coming from more smaller sealed enclosured(although it does great in vented boxes as well(which is ported, same thinig)). How else am i gonna fit 2 10"s in my jeep wrangler with my back seat?. I might have been able to get a 10w7 in their but considering i need to "feel" the bass with it being a jeep and all. And that sub would be loud but the volume simply not enough. My Kickers fire directly into my seats created a huge vibrating effect on the seats when i have the top down driving 50 while losing the sound of my bass.
See it has a lot to do about the box. Thats one of the main things of spl.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
don't get me wrong though JL is one of the better companies out there in my opinion

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
oh yah and i meant that the solo-baric is a small enclosure sub. Like the comps and circle sbus are normal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
you say they're 5 by 3 feet for a vvented box? try 1.825 cubic feet buddy thats not very big considering his 13w7 hits above 150 dB alone and with almost any decent sub you will always feel the bass hell even with my brothers crappy audiobahns u can feel the bass...doesnt sound good but you can feel it nevertheless..i might be misinterpreting what you said but hey

ive seen a 13w7 also in a 1.325 cubic foot sealed box and it still pounds like a mother and if you look at like subzone custom w7 boxes, they arent bigger than 2 cubic feet

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
that 1.825 cubic foot box is vented btw tuned to 30 Hz with a slot port

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
yah man, i'm still talking about a jeep though, like you really feel this stuff, i used to have an old system and with the top down it just droned out(polk audio sucks). Meanwhile, my whole point being the box makes much bigger of a deal than xmax. its the air in the box and the size of the sub pushing it that matters

Anonymous

box size will also dertermine the actual distance the cone travel...

lets say you have a sub w/ an xmax of 17mm in a tiny sealed box (.75 cu ft) ...running it at the same RMS (say 450 watts) as the same sub in another sealed box that is 2.25 cu ft... you may loose alot of bass!!! the cone wont travel nearly as far!!!

thats why small boxes are good for SQ but dont give nearly the SPL of a larger box!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Thus is why jl's have larger boxes. See Bacon, it all plays into my point. Its not the xmax its the box.

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
ok, 2 500/1's on a 13w7 = 150+.. nice..

ONE S8L7, with about the same watts from a single amp, in about same size ported box, at a 2003 dB Drag competition = 147.5

ehhh..

and not to get into TOO MUCH drama, but, there ARE a bunch of JL REPS on this board and sometimes it annoys me as well.. as daniel said, JL is a GRREAT company, with GREAT products, but damn.. =4.. some JL "REPS" are SO CLOSE-MINDED,.. COMPLETELY BRAINWASHED.. =4.. in the IMPORT scene, it's like talkin to teenie bopper ALPINE W.HORES.. and yes, there ARE kicker w.hores..

anyways, gotta go..

Anonymous

Tim....that S8L7 was in an Outlaw Comp!!!
want it was tuned to the resonance frequency of the car, and the car was one w/ great cabin gain, and the sub was way over powered , and about a hundred other things!!!

It was pure SPL, NO SQ WHATSOEVER!!!

the JL W7 will give huge SPL and some of the best SQ you can get at such high levels!!!

i'm not a nut for any brand...some sound good in some situations, some in others...

i've owned or installed a little of everything, from BOSS to JL!!!

i even owned a BOSS amp or 2...

i've also found that JBL BP amps are some of the very best in the price range

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
^ yes.. i didn't SAY/CLAIM there was great SQ.. the point of that, was an L7 SPL statement.. PURE SPL? yes, but that was the goal for that car/team.. tell me that's not bad for an 8"?.. was the sub WELL OVERPOWERED?.. sure, but shouldn't that be a testament to the L7?.. taking the abuse without its coils UNRAVELING?..

this sub and that sub makes a difference, but SET UP is more important.. JL's have better SQ than most subs, no doubt, but not everyone who wins SQ comps uses JL.. have L7's beat JL's in SQ comps?.. YES.. i browse the sounddomain boards as well and some of the audiophile people there COMPETE and WIN with L7's.. they say, set em up right and there's NO problems with SQ.. so, please people, DON'T SAY anything STUPID like these or thats can't compete..

one HAS to take into account they're in different price classes.. bacon was saying you could get 2 fully powered 12w6v2's instead of powering 1 L7?.. ok, well, for the price of those w6's, one could even obtain FOUR L7's or 3 with a bigger amp to fully power them, etc, AND??.. why compare M3's with Porsche 911 Turbos?

funny how bacon did state there are close performing subs to JL for less, but there are "better buys than kicker".. when some of those CLOSE performing subs are 1/3-1/2 the price of a W7, wouldn't there be MUCH "better buys than JL" as well? =4

also, in comparing, L7's and W6/W7's, i'd like to state that the sensitivity/efficiency of the subs is relateively the same.. 87 dB at 1w/1M.. some people need to take that into mind.. the subs gettin the SAME power would put out the same dB, etc.. the amount of xmax traveled by W6's etc at 400 watts is due to the NATURE of the woofer's high excursion design, and that design requires MORE energy to MOVE that motor linearly to make equal SPL as another woofer with a slightly bigger cone.. in the end, efficiency of converting energy into sound is aboot the same.. now if you want to say a FOCAL sub is more efficient than XXXX and LOUDER, go ahead.. =P

gotta go..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Wow tim, this is what i've been saying all along, except you said it better :-O)!

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
^ yeah, i know, i was trying to RE-inforce what you said.. =P

CORRECTION: Kicker L7's efficiency.. 87 dB 1w/1m.. W7's efficiency 86.2.. W6v2's efficiency 85.9.. if i need to EXPLAIN to you what this means,.. in plain and simple english, L7's get louder than W7's and A LOT LOUDER than W6v2's.. but, they are RELATIVELY close.. and yes, JL's would sound a bit better, though not as loud, etc..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us