Total newbie needs some help

Username: Wickens

Post Number: 1
Hi to whoever reads this.
I'm planning on purchasing a 1994-1996 toyota corolla in a few months, and after i purchase that
i plan on having about 2000-2500 bucks to spend on a new car audio system (canadian funds).
I'm a guitarist, so i'm not totally oblivious to speakers and such, but when it comes to car audio, i'm pretty much retarded.
Some quick questions:

1) http://www.kenwood.ca/kwhtmlen/ProductInfo.aspx?prid=KVT-815DVD
I've seen reviews for this deck, went and took a peek at it and i like it.
It's 50watts x 4 <- i have no clue what that means so i'm assuming it's to power the speakers inside of the car (typically 4 speakers by my count). But 200 watts total at max peak? That's not very much, is there a way to hook up an external amp to give the speakers more power?

2) Subwoofer
I've been looking at getting a speaker box to hold 2 10' speakers for my sub, i'm looking for something to crank some bass when i want it too, but also something that has an adjustable crossover frequency. I dont listen to hip-hop or rap, i listen to alot of metal, so the frequency is a little different. How much should i be looking at spending to get a decent sound out of a sub and an amp, and is it possible to mount the speaker housing to the trunk bed, and mount the amp onto the side of the speaker housing?

3) Speakers inside the car
I like more highend than most people, not a bass person really, i do like it, but i like to be able to control it. I've seen speakers that have just tweaters, and speakers with tweaters and mids (which i assume i would like quite a bit more than just tweaters). How much should i be paying for a decent pair of speakers?

Thanks for all the help, and if you'd be so kind as to provide links to any suggestions, that would be great!
I've got 1500 canadian to spend on a new system (i took the kenwood deck off the price because i want it no matter what)

Bronze Member
Username: Lowrollins10

Champaign, IL

Post Number: 92
Chris,
The HU you are looking at has 3 preamp output wich mean you can hook up Front, Rear, and sub amplifiers to it.

You could put anything from 2 Kicker Comp 10's to 2 Adire 10" Brahma's

As far as inside speakers Ttere are
Mb quart
CDT audio
Diamond Audio
Infinity Kappa's

They all make good component sets

Anonymous

Chris you have a PM
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts