System Troubleshooting : Help!

Bronze Member
Username: _andrew_

Post Number: 44
Hey everyone. Posting today on behalf of a buddy. Little background information:
89 Volkswagen Jetta (Non-Diesel) w/a 90amp alt.
The Jetta is bare bones - no power steering,AC,manual locks/windows, etc.

He is running a MTX 8002 and an MTX 4001, powering two mtx 5500's and four Infinity Kappa Ref.'s, respectively.

Now, the problem is that his speakers have been cutting out lately. It started with just the front kickers, but now the subs and the rear fill are cutting out also. On paper, it doesn't seem like he should have a power problem. He is pulling about 700rms with the volume cranked - 50-60amps shouldn't over-stress a 90 amp alt, would it?
I've told him to upgrade the Big3, but he hasn't. He's under the assumption that the short distance the current has to travel will make up for the smaller wire size. I didn't bother arguing.

Also, his gain on the sub amp is cranked. I've told him to turn it down a bit, but he refuses 'cause it "Still sounds good and doesn't distort." He adjusts the remote bass according to his liking, but usually leaves it off completely.
Could this be a power issue? IE, amps cutting off from a safe-mode function?

The amps are not grounding to the same spot-I suggested grounding them both to the same spot on the chassis- did not help. Basically, I've told him to re-wire everything and see what happens.

Any suggestions?

1 More question.
He complains that his subs make noises between notes sometimes - or between tracks. Not a f@rt, more of a fluttery-badness pop sound. The RCA's shouldn't be picking up anything , as they're run far from the power wires.
Could it be groundloop noise?

His system used to make my head hurt with bass, now it just hurts from trying to help him figure everything out. lol.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 350
About it clipping: 700watts rms pulls about 101 amps, realistically, and the car takes another 40 or so amps to keep the rest of the electrical system running correctly.

The noise he is hearing could possibly from ground loop problems, and you might want to check this page out to see if any of it seems familiar:http://electronixwarehouse.com/education/accessories/aboutnoise.htm

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 595
Why does he put the gain all the way up and the bass boost off? he could set the gain the right way
then adjust the bass boost and that should fix the clipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us