4-ohm bridged amp with DVC 4-ohm sub?

dumass_newbie
Unregistered guest
Sorry about the stupid question, I'm sure this seems simple to most of you. Just wondering if the following combination can work.

I got a great deal on a Clarion APX400.2 Marine Amp. It's bridgeable at 280W x 1 output at 4 ohms. I've also got a great deal on a Clarion Sub (SRW3881); dual voice coils at 4 ohms for 300W RMS.

My question is: can these two work together? If so, how should I wire them up? (series or parallel).

Any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 344
Sure, it'll work...but you'll lose some wattage from the amp. You can wire the sub up in series, raising the resistance to 8 ohms and cutting the amp output power in half to 140w. Or...if the amp is 2 ohm stable(which I doubt somewhat) you can wire the sub in parallel...

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 244
The 4ohm dual voice coil sub will not work on an amp bridged . Most 2 channel amps are not 2ohm stable when bridged. You can hook each coil of the sub on each channel of the amp but it's not recommend to do. Also you can wire it at 2ohms and hook to one channel.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Continuous Average Power Output,
100 W x 2 into 4 ohms 20Hz-20Khz @ 0.05%
2-ohm Stereo 190 W x 2 @ 0.5% THD 1Khz.
Bridged Power 280 W @ 0.5% THD.
So you best bet will be wired at 8ohms and bridged. This way you will get 200 watts.

dumass_newbie
Unregistered guest
So I'd wire the subs in series which would give me an 8 ohm load... What would my amp output (in watts) be at this load if I'm running it bridged (4-ohm)? More or less 200 watts?

Thanks again guys, appreciate your help.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 348
Half.

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
You have one sub right? When you bridge the amp both channels are working as one channel. The ohms of the sub will be split by both channels when bridged. So wire the sub at 8 ohms and bridge to the amp. The sub will get 200 watts. Each coil on the sub will get 100 each. All this is if the amp puts of what they say.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Upload

dumass_newbie
Unregistered guest
Thanks again guys. I appreciate it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us