Do i need capacitor for 300-500 RMS ?

Marcelo2005
Unregistered guest
Hi all , i'm planning to spend some money in a new amp for my xplode subs 400 rms each. The amps i'm looking for should be also cheap. I'm between 2 kenwoods (KAC 7202 = 450rms 1 ohm, and KAC 9102D=850rms 2 ohm). I have a vw 98 and the alternator should be givin like 70 amps. I don't want to expend in a new alternator. A new cap, might be. So my question is: is my alternator able to handle any of these amps ? Should i add a small capacitor ? thanks !! as you might see, i don't have much money to spend :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Basshd

Post Number: 49
You should be fine with that alternator/amp combo. Do not buy a capacitor just for the sake of someone telling you that you need one. I have never in my experience found capacitors to work as intended, without first having an adequate electrical system. They are sometimes marketed as a "fix all" for a weak electrical system, but they are one more item that the alternator has to charge(along with your battery) so it will add stress to an already stressed electrical system, if used as a "band-aid".

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1848
Yup.

Marcelo2005
Unregistered guest
So should my audio work fine with the digital one ? Because i read in some other threads about needing at least 120 amps alternator to work properly. I also have a very small amp (100 rms) to power my middles.
So in total we are talking about 950 rms with the KAC-9102D amp.
Should it work properly with my actual electrical configuration ? What about the light dimming?
Regards

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 342
Yeah, that is around 120 amps total for your sound system alone, and you still have to add in the amount of amps the car uses(around 40). It would be better to just get an alternator with more output rather than a cap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us