Follow up to JL 10W7 Disappointment

Username: Transamkid2000

Post Number: 5
Well, the new cap didn't help much and it cost 550 bucks (time to go return it). Well my amp is maxed out. My subs are maxed out ( or underpowered, which I cant fix at a cheap price), my cap is struggling cause im struggling to push the subs to much. OK new setup here we go...I got a couple of options. What I do know is I have a 2.2 farad cap, a pg 1200.1 rms at 1-4 ohm amplifier (says that in the manual), and an alpine cda 9833. I want straight SPL so I think im going to go with 2 12" kicker L5's or L7's in a sealed box...or 2 10" kicker L5's or L7's in a ported box. What's best? Is this a good idea?
Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1841
Sense all you're looking for is spl... the 12l7's are perfect.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 137
was your pg amp the black titanium or the silver xenon?

Username: Audioman

New york

Post Number: 1
ok mikey now where talkin...JL is and overrated peice of shi* company.. kicker makes quility raw loud subs for the people who want base and amazing base responce..i own 2 L7s in a sealed box with a kx 1200.1 amp. wired in parralell. its sound and loudness is unstoppable. but make shure u run the sealed box as a true sealed bax and use monster speaker wire when feeding ur subs that power..oxegen free with silcone twisted center if possible. and another thing turn the bass boost all the way down and the over frequinces on the amp all the way down. and the gain all the way up. controll the bass boost from ur head unit.and run ur low pass frequinces from ur head at 80hzs..ok thats my advice..good luck

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 150
if you want pure spl get shocker audio SIG series they will get louder than l7's and sound better, i know cause my friend has 2 10's and is hitting in the mid 150's

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3983
If I were wanting SPL with 1200 watts, I'd personally get a single large sub that works well with the power given and use a large ported box, as opposed to using two smaller subs. Instead of the 2 12" subs like the L7s, consider a larger sub such as a 15" or 18". L7s are power hungry and 1200 watts won't quite do it for two of them. If you want straight SPL, ported is the way to go, sealed isn't going to cut it for SPL. A 15" sub has almost 70% more cone area than a single 12", an 18" subwoofer has roughly 150% more cone area than a single 12" does. Anyway, you're best off to get a sub optimized for ported enclosures and power handling. Digital Designs is great for this, their 9500 series or even the smaller 3500 series is great for what you're after.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 139
also consider instead of opting for capacitors, upgrading your wiring to 1/0 aug. your amp won't have anywhere to pull all that power from without it.
pertaining to your amp, there has been some discrepencies in its build. they are built in korea and have a history of failure until recently. now pg supposedly checks them in oregon to ensure they are up2snuff. but that wasnt the case for the earlier ones to come off the lines.
finally, remember that with increased cone area comes decreased necessity for excursion to reach the same spl. so, i agree w/jonathan that if you run a larger sub of the DD caliber, you can maintain a high level of excursion while still increasing cone area, optimizing all the power of the amp at the same time.
(those 10's still should have hit hard though based on their excursion level alone.)

Post Number: 6
mikechec9 ...its the silver xenon amp...

kyle stewart... are you running the 12" or 10" L7?

Jonathan... never heard of Digital Designs??? Where can you find them?

thanks guys for all ur help!

Now should i go ported with 1 15inch kicker L7? or should i go sealed with 2 12" kicker L5's or L7's? (havent looked at digital design yet)

hmmmmmmmmmm, any suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1339
www.ddaudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 336
However Johnathan, more is better. More subs = less cone movement = longer subs last! 2 12's is def. more efficient the 1 15"! Now, and 18" may take the cake on power, but those Kickers do have stress points and I've heard their spiders tear easily. Also, if that is the case, and you have LESS CONE MOVEMENY...guess what? Those subs won't take as much brunt as still produce the efficiency, sq, and overall spl's you want!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1343
Is the Digital Designs 3500 series just SPL or can it be used as a daily driver also ?

ported or sealed ?

Post Number: 7
I am just looking for straight SPL and chest hurting bass...At this point I could care less how my SQ stacks up...ANY recommendations anyone?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1344
Mikey M go with the Digital Designs 9500 series subwoofer and you might loose your hearing with the right amplifier and box.

Bronze Member
Username: Basshd

Post Number: 55
I second that, for spl, go with the dd 9500 series they are a proven winner if what your after is a high tuned enclosure and raw spl.

Post Number: 8
what size 12's? and should they be sealed?

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 416
TB... i wouldnt test Jonathans knowledge.... to think of kicker L7s as a better quality product than JLs W7 or W6v2 series you must be smokin crack... Jl does make good products they just overprice their stuff. and for kicker... yes the L7 is a good SPL sub but there is much better out there and IMO id much rather have my single 15 avalanche to reach high SPL numbers than 2 12 L7s and a kx1200.1 ... and i still have SQ

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3989
TB, I do agree that having more surface area is a better thing if you're after SPL. We're in a different situation in the case above, though, we're trying to get high SPL with a set power level, requiring power packed onto a driver and a ported box. In the case above, It would be hard to beat a 9515 or a 3515 in SPL with that power level, the Kickers won't even reach their potential sealed with that power level, much less ported. A ported box limits excursion severely at tuning, the more power (even MUCH over RMS) the better, in most cases you can push a single sub better than two subs when you're talking about a relatively similar efficiency from the subs. You also don't have minor phase anamolies that would interfere with SPL. The DDs work better in ported boxes than the Kickers do, their suspension and motor strength lend themselves to SPL more so than the Kickers. It's a situation where surface area and excursion aren't the only factors in SPL produced.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1357
Hey Jonathan, I may end up checking out the DD 3500 series but not sure if i want the 12 or the 15". I will be pushing it with a CrossFire VR1000D amplifier which does 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm rms a 12.5 volts. I emailed DD just now but are you familiar with the 3500 series and how it whould compare to my Avalanche 15 and my JL 12w6v2 ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1358

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3992
In SPL it would beat them. SQ, I'd put the other two on top.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us