Ported? or stay sealed?

Bronze Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 85
My current box is 1'4" deep, 2'6" wide, and 1'3" tall. Could i make this box poted and make it sound good? It is currently sealed.

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 144
ported ask sean he'll tell ya how u make it sound good

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
okay. i just wanted to know if my box is large enough.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
My cubic inches is 3.23. Is this big enough?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 238
Before you can build any box you have to know what size the subs need. Ported boxes are bigger most of the times. I can tell you the size of the port for that box size if you tell me what you want it tuned. But if the cubit feet is too much for the sub it will have to much excursion and blow the sub. Also it might sound bad.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
i ahve know i dea what the subs need. I went to the web site and everything. They say the recremened is sealed, ported, bandbass, etc. My subs are alpine type e's 1242. However, the site does have the type s's. It says for ported the sub need aprox. 1.25-2.0 cu.ft. for one. So for two i need around 2.50-4.0. So my box will work right??

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 145
bigger the box louder it will sound an less watts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
So...will it sound good? And what frequency should i go for? Or what size of port diameter?

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
Is this your sub
Alpine SWE-1242 12" component subwoofer

12" component subwoofer
Kevlar-treated pulp woofer cone
high-excursion Santoprene rubber surround
dual oversized Nomex spiders
frequency response: 28-1,000 Hz
power range: 50-250 watts RMS
peak power: 750 watts RMS
sensitivity: 89 dB
sealed box volume: 0.8-1.7 cu. ft.
ported box volume: 1.25-2.0 cu. ft.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
yes it is

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
but i have 2 of them. What do u suggest? poted or sealed? And if ported what frequency?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
know body?

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
If I had two sub in one box I would divide the box in the middle. Better on your subs and easer to get the right port length. I would port with round pcv pipes at 36hz. You can cut the pipes off shorter if it sounds to low. Try 2.0 cu. ft. then put the sub and port in and you will have a little under 2.0 cu. ft. but will still be in the range of 1.25-2.0 cu. ft. Port Diameter 3 inches x Port Length 8 ¾ inches. Put the ports anywhere, just keep in mind you need as much room on the inside and outside as the port diameter. Just stay away from anything 3 inches and you will be fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Okay thanks!! I already have a split down the middle. I just did the dimentions of the entire box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Wait...how much space does my sub take up?? Another is, how will i make my box 2.0 cu. for each sub? It is currently 1.6 without the sub. Would fiber fill make the box seem larger? I am really confused.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
My subs are 10's with 1.1 cu ft each and tuned at 36 hzs . Each sub has a driver volume of 0.05 and the ports are 0.05. So not but .10 cu ft your 12's and ports should be 0.15. It's more trouble to make the box bigger than build a new one. If you have 1.6 cu ft enclosure volume on each side without the subs and ports. Your net volumes around 1.45 cu ft each sub. It's going to be hard to tune at a set hz's without more info on the sub. Like the driver volume and a technical data report, But this is not rocket science 0.2 hear or 1 inch one way or the other is close enough. Try 3 inch round and 7 or 8 inches long. This will put you around 36, 37 hz's each sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Okay thanks. I read on this forum that it takes more watts to actually hear a box tuned to about 30 hz's aposed to 60 hz or higher. I believe they said that it will be louder if it were around 60hz's just not as deep sounding. And since my subs are only 250 rms each. I think i should try to get higher than in the 30's. What do you think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Or will they sound fine and louder than they are now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
What size fuse does the amp have? How many watts is the amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Well i have the 500/1 JL. it is 500 watt and i forget the fuse on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us