Ponder this: What is harder on an amp over time?

Bronze Member
Username: Calaway

Austin, TX

Post Number: 77
More gain(within reason), or more bass boost?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3042
Opening up gain will do most damage. Although bass boost basically does the same thing as gain but at a lesser amount.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1843
I have the RF p8002, and it has the remote gain nob... I keep that turned all the way off, and the settings in the HU up, is this bad on the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3052
I'd use the one on the amp vs HU. Set the amp's gain properly and omit using the HU. You have to remember, most of the distortion/clipping come from the HU. So opening up on HU to max will surely induce some unwanted results.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1873
So, just turn the nob about a quarter way up and turn the controls down?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1371
If you're clipping the amp it is, but setting the gains on the amp "high" won't hurt anything as long as as you don't turn the volume up on the h/u. How many people have the discipline to keep from "cranking it" however?

Bottom line: set the gains right to begin with

As far as then h/u's "settings" go, arbitrarily boosting EQ settings usually results in a less than desirable result. Its usually best to set things "flat" and then CUT, not boost, things to achieve a flatter in-car response.

Me? The only thing I boost is a bit of bass around 20 Hz with a 1 band parametric EQ to extend the frequency response of my sealed 10w0. Even then it would be better if I cut the output around this sub's peak response frequency, but as I don't have an RTA its just easier for me to do the boost thing around a frequency I know its lacking.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us