What causes blown subs????

Username: Jtreat911

Post Number: 3
I just blew out my Rockford fosgate HX2's. I had them running on a JBL 1200.1 amp. They are the punch series that can handle 500 rms each. I had them for about a month and broke them in as perscribed. I wasn't playing them anywhere near max volume and they still gave out. So i was wondering what are all the things that could blow them out? High volume obviously but could they also blow out with improper wiring? I'm really pissed! Maybe i'll go with better subs next time?

Bronze Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 38
a poor connection could be a problem but im thinking unlikly, what kind of a box did you have them in was it a band pass box if so you might of had the gain up to high and couldnt hear if they were maxing out and if you slowly push in the midle of the speaker around the dust cap do you feel a grinding, and how big are these subs, and what kind of a blow out was it do they just click now or are they just no as loud

Anonymous

I blew my 12" Kicker L7 and I don't understand why... I had it wired down to 2ohms and hooked up to my kicker KX 400.1 amp, the sub was in a vented box and I had it at 60-65Hz and the gain was about 3/4 of the way up. It sounded fine and then it started getting weaker and weaker, I opened my trunk, and i had blown 1 of the voice coils. I don't understand why, any ideas??

Post Number: 4
I had my two subs in a sealed box. So i didnt' hear any sort of distortion. Just all of a sudden they gave out and stopped. One has a slight rattle now and the other just isn't moving. When they blew i probably only had them at about 2/3 volume and the gain wasn't all the way up.

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 42
well the clicking or rattle that you hear shows that one got tweeked so the coil it taping on the magnet and the other one might have gotten its wires torn just after the turminal i have seen it before it doesnt look like it is but it just gets riped enough that it well stop working how long have you has them i do beleave that the HX2's have extended warenty that would even cover you standing on them

Post Number: 6
So I should check the terminals on the sub that isn't working? I've only had them for about a month. They are under warranty but the company i bought them from hasn't gotten back to me yet. How do i repair these wires?

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 43
well you might not be able to the best thing to do is wait for the place that you bought them from to get back with you

Post Number: 7
okay thanks for the advice. I still got a lot of learning to do!

Unregistered guest
Roc's HX2's suck..... I've purchased 4 in the last month. my connects are solid, but i have found the key. by using an ohm meter to match the impedance to the closest rating. the least percentage of error you have the better your results!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1540
damage could result from a number of things.
poor box design.

no subsonic filter on the subs in a ported box causing over-excursion.

too much power (unlikely)

amplifiers clipping due to lack of current (very likely)

poor enclosure design

bad subs.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1541
more reasons:

distortion caused by too much "bass boost" being used

improperly set gains. (very common)

insufficient power cable size (see lack of current)

Username: Munkyjojo

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 2
amplifier clipping due to lack of current?

Anonymous

if the amp isnt recieving proper amount of current such as the power and/or gound wire wasnt larg enough or had a bad cennection then the amp might not do what its supost to do, like cut out frequencies abouv say 80hrz but its trying but it might be going on and off so to high of frequenceis can damage the sub (am i right glasswolf)

loud and low
Unregistered guest
not exactly clipping is caused as you sayed by a lack of current to the the amplifier as you sayed due to bad connections, too small of a wire or not a large enought alternator or battery. it can also be caused by increasing the volume on the amp to much to the point where it is attemping to put out power above its rated rms power at your current voltage 14-14.4 volts if the car is running. when either of these happens the amplifier begins sending a square wave to the speakers. this basically causes the speaker to have to disipate more heat but cone movement isn't increases so cooling isn't increases either and if run for an extended amount of time it will damage the speakers voice coil. mainly by overheating / melting it.

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 21
subsonic filter? that's pretty much the crossover right?

Post Number: 8
So I'm not really sure what the amp clipping is? I have a normal battery and the 1200 watt amp is running off of a 4 gauge wire and the 180 watt amp a 8 gauge wire. Also both of these is hooked up to a capacitor. I think it may have been incorrect wiring from the amp to the subs but i'm going to have to check that today.

Username: Munkyjojo

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 3
how can you tell if your amp is clipping..?

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 46
you can hear it in the sub and it sounds like a clicking or clipping sound you migh have to be about 2 feet away from the sub to hear it in most casses if you can hear it about 5 ft away i would take care of it realy quick

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1562
clipping:

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Disco_stan

Post Number: 86
Haha, nice link!

Bronze Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 88
Glass, I checked you website(nice art collection) and on your DVD wish list I would recommend getting Requiem For a Dream, The Basketball Diaries, Fight Club(great David Finch film). I think those would give your collection a intersting twist.

Bronze Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 89
Glass, I checked you website(nice art collection) and on your DVD wish list I would recommend getting Requiem For a Dream, The Basketball Diaries, Fight Club(great David Finch film). I think those would give your collection a intersting twist.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1567
- Requiem For a Dream
haven't seen it yet. I'll check it out.

-The Basketball Diaries
not a big b-ball fan, but I'll rent it and see.

-Fight Club
saw it. the twist at the end was good, but once you've seen it, sorta loses it's appeal. mostly, it was just boring for me.

thanks for the suggestions. always appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us