I am smelling the voice coils getting hot!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Mike13

Post Number: 5
i just bought a orion h2 and installed it and i am smelling it getting hot, why is that ? could it be my amp ? i have a 1600 watt sony mono amp, i know not very good but my old fosgate 800a2 blew up. that amp already fried 2 of my mtx 8000 series 15s and i dont want it to happen again. i need som info on this. thank you

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2702
Have the amp check out first, make sure it's working properly, and don't play your system untill you get your amp problems figured out...

Are you sure you have everything wired correctly?

Post Number: 7
yeah i had a shop wire everything except my sub i have a dvc 4 ohm sub with a wire going from - to - and a wire going from + to + and running one wire off each voice coil into the amp making it a 2 ohm load that is right isnt it let me know thank you

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 123
ok, i know what to do. disconnect the sony amp and turn it horizontal. allow it a few minutes outside of your car to let it breath. give it a false sense of security and then lay it under your drivers side rear wheel, unless its front wheel drive. and then drive over it repeatedly and watch it break into a million pieces in your sideview mirror (lol).
i'm sorry man i just couldn't resist. all jokin aside though, i agree w/joe. you don't want to risk that sub burnin up too.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3034
If you like your sub, don't use it with Sony crap. It'll most likely blow your sub.
Lot of people make a mistake of purchasing great sub and pairing it with a cheap amp.
Do a google search on "clipping" and you will see what happens when amps like Sony/Pyramid/Pyle/Lanzar/Boss tries to produce high output power.
If you're going to use those amps, you might as well connect 12v to your sub and watch it "Xplode".

Post Number: 8
lol i know but i need to get a new amp bad i love my system

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1579
well thats not good especially since you just got it. basically turn down your gains, i have a feeling they are set on 3/4 or max am i right and dont lie.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 124
yes. that is the correct way to wire it up though (nice sub).

Post Number: 9
you are very right, all the way up and the sub turned all the way down on the stereo its at - 5 should i turn the amp down and turn the sub up?

Post Number: 10
or should i leave the sub down real low like that?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 126
non technical gain setting: turn the amp all the way down (or disconnect the rca's). turn your hu up until it disorts (usually about 3/4 the way up) and then back off a bit till it clears up. now turn the amp up until it distorts and then back off of it too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
k thank you ill do that in the morning

Silver Member
Username: Disturbedpriest

Post Number: 121
i have the same problem but i am running a mtx 1501d and everything is wired correct.. i just took it out of my car and put another amp in with a clipping light and when i turn my system up high it clips.. i think it might be my alternator?? any input would be nice i dont wanna burn up my sub.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3044
Almost all HUs will clip/distort at hight volume. So the trick is to have an amp powerful enough to put out needed power before that. Most HUs will sound clear till you get past 75% mark.
Some are just bad quality so it clips.

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 61
"running one wire off each voice coil into the amp making it a 2 ohm load that is right isnt it let me know thank you"

Wat do you mean by that? as in you have 2 + wires running into the + terminal on your amp? if so...thats not the way to wire em.
If it is...let us know and we can help you re-wire them

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 143
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/#2dvcsp
he means he wired it like example 2
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us