15" Avalanches...1 or 2?

Bronze Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 13
I was wondering how much improvement in spl and/or sq I would get from having 2 15" avalanches instead of just 1. I would power them with 600-800 watts apiece. Space shouldn't be a factor for my civic's trunk either. I also didn't know what kind of box to use for 1 or 2 15's. I was thinking ported for spl with decent sq, but I've been reading sealed is about as good spl with better sq. Can somebody help my confused self out? thanx

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3256
in a civic I can tell you , you would have trouble fitting two. I would go with 1 sealed about 2.5 cu/ft and 800 watts should be great!

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 14
Do recommend any specific amps to use or a box type?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3259
I recomend sealed. as far as an amp goes you can use any GOOD amp that is anywhere from 600-1000 watts. I run mine off of a Orion Hcca 250G4 but I think I am gonna step up to the Orion 2250SX and run it at 4ohms with 1000 watts.

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 16
Thanks for your quick responses and info man, my dial-up can't even keep up with your posts, lol

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 17
Oh yah, I forgot to ask if you thought I would need a new alternator if I powered it with...let's say 1000 watts. Thanks man.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 367
1000 watts = about 100 amps and car needs atleast 50 in reserve. 175 amp alternator would keep things running smoothly, might as well upgrade to a 250 amp while your at is incase you decide to upgrade.

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 19
Thanks man, so about 10 watts per amp needed. I get it now. lol.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3298
its actually watts divided by 12=amps or watts divided by 10 x the amps efficiency they come out to be within a few amps of eachother.

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 23
thanks for straightening that out for me James...how much would a decent alternator be for enough to keep lights steady and 1200 watts for speakers & a sub (after I get my components)...so 120 or so amps just for speakers, I'm not sure how much it takes to run my 4 cylinder civic reliably though. I'm not looking for an exact answer just a guesstimate.

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 26
anybody have a guess as to how much a new alternator would be or I even need one. thanx

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 257
I have 1200 watts rms on an amp and 200 ish watts rms on my components. I bought a 200 amp alternator from www.mralternator.com and it works pretty good. It costed me about $225 shipped. you might be ok with a 180 amp alternator though. I'd go bigger, just in case later you wanted to ugpgrade sumthin..... so roughly $200-250 ish for a new alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1351
Hey richard did you install the alternator yourself and upgrade your big 3 wiring also ?

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 258
Yup, well one of my friends dad helped me out. I gotta check on the wiring for the big three cuz the lights dimmed a little bit though at idle when i cranked the system, or is that normal becuase i was in idle? I'm gettin my amp back next thursday ish(it was sent back about 3 and a half weeks ago cuz it was messed up)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1352
Try running a 1 farad capacitor and see if that helps. usually with a good electrical system a 1 farad or 2 really helps the dimming.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 259
yeah, I was thinkin that,but leaning towards that Batcap 800

Gold Member

Post Number: 1354
Thats funny, i actually own a batcap model 800 but havent installed my whole system yet. Waiting on a car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us