Why only low bass??

Bronze Member
Username: Calaway

Austin, TX

Post Number: 74
I have a Kicker CompVR 12" sub(400rms) in the reccomended sealed box. I am pushing it with a MTX 421D mono(about 300rms). I listen to rock and blues and a little rap. The sub is only responding to low bass notes like in rap. I want it to hit with each kick of bass drum in other songs too.

I know one 12 can do it cause my friend had 2 18's and I could feel each hit. I'm sure it's crossover related. Help?!

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 321
Usually there is a knob somewhere on the unit(crossover adjustment) to adjust how high of frequencies you want to let through...just turn it up and down until you find the place you think sounds the best.

Bronze Member
Username: Zero43

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 22
I had the samee problem with mtx amps. You are going to have to turn the bass boost down(Thunder EQ) almost all the way down because it is centered at 40 hz. but then you have to turn your gains up and the frequency knob up a little more than halfway depending on your subs max frequency. I actually went and got another amp before i figured out what the problem was... Also it will seem like you amp is pushing as hard as it used to but trust me it is playing as it should. I went with a higher quality amp without a bass boost and i have to double the volume to acheive the same low level bass response as the eq. Im not sure but i think a line driver would enhance the bass response so you dont have to turn your headunit up so loud

I hope this helps

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Germany

Post Number: 654
I don't like bass boost for that reason. I would set your x over about 80 herts, turn the boost off and play with it from there. That will give you a good starting point.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 111
lol, rarely do i see someone post whether our advice WORKED or not.. for the sake of helping other people before they ask the same question again, please keep us updated? thanks :-)

Bronze Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 23
Jeremy I agree with you the only bass boosts I like are the ones that increase all usable bass.

That is why I probably wont buy another mtx amp hell the new ones are centered at 30hz what kind of range is that.

Id say for what you are talking about to just start with the freq knob turned all the way clockwise then turn it back until it meets your taste and dont be surprised if it is somewhat distorted before you get it down to where you want it. And remember the freq knob tops out at 200hz on the right an 20 hx on the left

Bronze Member

Austin, TX

Post Number: 75
Thanks guys. I messed with the knobs and got more of the response I was looking for. The thing is, if I leave the bass boost knob turned down, I have to increase gain a bit. It's not sounding like it's distorting all that much, I am just wondering what would hurt the amp more... more gain, or more boost?

Bronze Member

Austin, TX

Post Number: 76
That might be a good question for a new thread.

Bronze Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 24
In my own opinion i think theyd be even unless you play frequencies your sub has a hard time reproducing at excessive volumes with the gain turned up

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Germany

Post Number: 660
As long as the speaker isn't distorting, I would leave the boost off and turn up the gain, or just turn the boost up a hair. 40 herts is right at the bottom range of what the human ear can hear. So when you turn up the boost, if you do add some distortion it may be hard to hear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us