HATE ON JL AUDIO

Bronze Member
Username: Jonklly5

Post Number: 12
Why do u guys always hate on Jl Audio Subwoofers. Ive been told by my local shop, Sound Advice, that 2 jl audio w3v2's w/500/1 is the best way to go in my scion tc. Appearently my car cant handle to 2 w6v2's with a 1000/1 amp or it will sound like hell. And he advised these Polk audio component speakers in the front powered by a 250/1 amp the speakers were like 299. What do you guys think about this. Do you guys think these subs will sound good or if not what do you think will do better for around the same price/power.

Anonymous

no one hates on JL.. some people hate on audiobahn/legacy/pyle/lanzar n stuff but not JL-- we all probablly wish we could afford it because its some of the best stuff out

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 224
JL has great subs... But theres stuff just as good, if not better, for the same price or maybe cheaper.

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 121
thats what sucks about jl or any other good brands its so much money an when it blows ur goin 2 have pay that much 4 the same thing

Bronze Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 11
hahahaah u bought a scion..bet ur pi$$ed now

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 122
there ugly as he11

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 692
are yall talking about the same car. Because the tC dam sho aint ugli. The scion xB is ugly, but the tC is nice. Maybe a slow car, but it looks good. I was goign to get one, but instaed im going 2 get a 2004 pontiac grand prix.

New to Car Audio but not to Cars
Unregistered guest
lol...they have a nice engine for a toyota tho...

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 694
yeh that engine is a monster. On completely stock internals that engine produces 426WHP with just bolt on components such as turbo. And need i say it again. 426whp on stock internals. I am seriously impressed with that engine. And thats what it takes so far. The people who are experimenting with it are still adding stuff. but why pay 16g's for a tC and more thousands of dollars just to get it to keep up with mustangs and such. But i ahve to say that is satisfying to me to get amke a underdog car a

Bronze Member
Username: Jonklly5

Post Number: 13
lol ok my tc is tight, special edition bitchez... Ok, so the guy at sound advice(a division of TWEETER) told me that 2 12' w6v2's wud sound terrible in my car and id haev to get an alternator or some other stuff just to make it work. So he sed the w3's. What is better for the same price and what amp to go with it? should i stick with the jl 500/1?

Bronze Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 19
lets see i paid 23k for my lancer evo and no offense but the extra money-- 7k -- seriosuly shows- i would probabaly r4pe ur tc in reverse-- also the tc is being made fun of because they OFFER THE TOTAL CUSTOMIZATION including dif seats and a spoiler--- OMG- no not the customization--japs should stick to mitsubishi and subaru not scion honda and the other shits-toyota

Silver Member
Username: Fastbastard1977

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 101
425 hp are you retarted or something theres no way

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 102
basslova are you smoking with sub.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3263
yeah I am with Joseph on that! in your dreams man! lol!

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1563
my g20 has about 80 at the wheels suck on that!

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2679
Hp or foot lbs of torque? lol Or both added together.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2680
Hey basslova, was that 425 hp measured at like 50,000 rpm's?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1565
hp unhhhh

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3271
even at that RPM range it would prob be hard up for pushing 250!

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3272
hey Nick what should be my first new mod to the new car?:-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2684
Do you already have it? I'd say get the d@mn audio system taken care of first.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3274
yeah thats a given but I am talking under the hood/drive line!

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1570
yo james whats the car?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3275
did you see the pic I posted of it last night?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1571
no

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3277
click on the post named(I want them to hear me coming)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2687
Hmm, what kinda engines it got in it. If it were me, and I had the amount of money that super rich firefighters had, I'd lower it an inch or two, get some 20 somethings, some nice rims, and put a good looking body kit on it. I don't know if you old people are into that sorta bling bling stuff though.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3278
1.8 Turbo 180hp stock AWD I think I am gonna do the stage III chip it ads like 35hp

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2690
You should get a wide body kit for it. Audi's can look pretty pi.mp, lol.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2691
But honestly, check out the exhaust too. I swear, some of those companies put the world's smallest exhaust pipes on their cars.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1573
damn i hate you james. you are too rich. jk. but i think im with joe, it would be cool imo to find rims the same colour aas the car, but thats my opinion. im sure you can find a lil turbo or charger for it, might be exspensive though. oh and get a new suspension kit, coil overs so you can adjust the height

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2692
PUT A SPOON ENGINE IN IT!!!

I love hating on spoon. Ricers drive me nuts.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3279
I think I am only going to tint the windows and do 18's for the summer and stock wheels for the winter. other then that I am not doing any body mods. I am however going to do engine mods, Cold air intake,chip,exaust,header,ect I have a friend who is pushing 360hp out of a 1.8T

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1574
ya you can deff. change the turbo to a bigger size, and i guess exhaust you better hope it doesnt sound like a ricer. i dont thinnk it will though.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2693
Lol. I wish I could get 360 outta my car....

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3280
I would never sound like a ricer dude I absolutely hate that more then anything!

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1575
the only way i can would be to harden the block get a turbo and some better pistons. or swap a sr20det in it instead of my sr20de. but oh well im lookin for a m=small suv i think. but gotta save up and pay james back

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2695
Me too. You wouldn't believe all the g@y little cars with f@rt cans on them in my area.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2696
Yeah Hunter. I'd love to bore my engine out, get new pistons, a new cam, slap on some headers, new exhaust, new injection, cold air, but I'd never drop that kinda money on my 2 liter. I could probably drop something bigger in for the same price.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1576
you gotta love it. here what they do is they primer their car(multi color, of coarse because they are gangster like that) put some sh!tty as.s rims on them or caps, and then they do a full blown cat back exhaust. not to mention with half of their kit on. they buy it piece by piece here. you know whats even sadder is they think they are fast. sad enough to say that i have beaten quite a few civics out here wh o think they are the sh!t with my lil g20 with 155000+ miles on it and a oil leak from 2 spots. kinda sad.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1577
yeah its not really worth it. and that is exp. as hel.l

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2697
I know exactly what your talking about.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 103
dont tell me you guys like forien cars over great american muscle

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2699
Why do you think we hate ricers?

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 104
i got a 86 mustang gt. with a motor i built . ita a 306 that produces like 450hp and it runs on 110 octan.it runs 10.50s at the track

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2700
My friends dad has a 1935 buick with a LS-1 in it. 400 and some hp.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 106
i got to take some pics of my cars and post them for you guys

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3282
I love the mid 80's and early 90's mustangs:-) I dont really consider an Audi a ricer car you dont really see them riced out too often mostly they look nice and sleek and not like a 16 year old is driving it ya know? I have always loved them so I decided that with the super low interest rates right now and the difference in gas milegae between my jeep and the audi it is a no brainer so I said F it I am getting it. now I just have to sell my Jeep:-( man I love my jeep but its time to move on! lol!

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3283
Hunter I know exactly what you are talking about man those are the same here and they seriously think their fast as hell its so funny when I beat them with my lifted jeep:-) I have alot of work done to my jeep but it still isnt fast by anymeans.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 107
yeah i know what you guys meen. every time i take my car out all these young a$$ kids think they can kick my a$$ just because they got a go fast wing . i guess they think they can fly with that thing.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 108
does anyone want to buy a 4wheeler here?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3284
dude I heard that wing add's like 20hp though! lol!

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 109
lol yeah! dude i seen yhis hillbilly make a wing in his s10 out of 2by4s.lol!!!!

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1581
no. well i dont know man ive seen some cavaliers with over 500+ hp. i mean a 4 banger with exhaust a cold air intake thats like 200 right there plus the 50 stickers on there car, and they are 10 hp a piece so go figure, you guys can keep up with that. jk. im not too big of a fan of the mustang, there is one thing in my town that beats the number of ricers and that is 5.0 mustangs with flows. god i hate them. but there are a few real fast ones. i know one that has a 5.0 ho crate with borla ex. and a procharger, its fast. there is also a 69 camaro with a 468 and nos with the you know exhaust a fuel cell the whole nine yards. it is nice. and then there is a dude with a god damn 86 mercury capri( t top no less) and he thinks it is the sh!t. its a six and he molded a 5.0 wing on it and didnt paint it. its sad

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3288
hahahahaha thats some redneck SH!T! 2x4 and krylon!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3035
Unless you live in a jungle, Jeep isn't as practical as it used to.
I have 1986 Mustang LX with square headlights. You won't find too many of those. In fact 1986 model was suppose to be a limited edition.
I think the 1990s Mustangs were one of the ugliest models ever made. Probably the same a$$ that redesigned Viper to look like a Corvette. How in the world can they let a lo$er change Viper's shape?? It used to be unique cause of it's daring curves. Now it's just another Corvette wannabe. I pi$$ed me off so much. Now I can't stand Vipers. You can't even order the original models. They don't make it anymore.
Man I hate that lo$er Viper designer. I think he's freaken Japanese too. How insulting is that? Someone should lose their head for such bonehead decision. When's the last time you saw a great Japanese car? Okay besides the Skyliner? Big fat Zero.
If I was in charge, I would've never let that happen. You have to use the talent within.
Fudge fudge fudge, I'm still pi$$ed. Viper was one of my fav car.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 110
man i love those 68 69 comaros. thats the next race car i want to build.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1583
do you guys know( im sure you do ) that carrol shelby designed the viper? and he made some special omnis called the glh ands glhs? (goes like hell and goes like hell still)

oh its called the skyline, the wrx is nice and the import silvia s15.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1584
i really want a 68 z/28. it has my fav engine the 302

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 111
y would you even bring up the skyline you cant even buy them in the us. so you cant even compare them to anything around here.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1586
well you can import. exp but it can be done.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 112
i want a 69 with a big block mybe a 560ci, wuth nos. and a 4 speed. that would be nice.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1587
oh ya. dream car. 70 charger r/t with 440 6 pack and a 1471 blower. god i love those cars

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 114
yeah but how manny people are going to do that. no one around here is going to pay that kind of money on shipping.lol

UCF_Shawn
Unregistered guest
note to above, its Goes Like Hell Somemore. Not still. The GLHS are faster. They're pretty cool little cars, but love breaking.

Issac, my friend a 1986 SVO Mustang. For those that don't know, A 1886 SVO Mustangs, have a turboharged 2.3l 4-cylinder. His is slightly tweaked. Around 250rwhp. I think those are a little more rare lol.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3291
my brother built a mach 1 and it was fast as SH!T:-) yeah I hear ya about the jeep Isaac but I wasnt reffering to the mid 90's stang I was talking about 90,91,92 before they changed the body style.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3038
Oh I read an article about this kid that drove his dad's skyliner and trashed it. Somehow the guy was rich enough to import it into the states.
The weird part of the story was the passengers in the car. The kid driving it was 16, the girl was 15, AND her BF was 35 I think.
Don't ask me how the kid's parents and the girl's parents let a 35 year old guy hang with them. Isn't that criminal like? What is wrong with the parents these days??
Anyways, the kid totalled the car, and the girl and the criminal died.
I thought it was a fake story till I saw the actual pictures of the car before and after shots.
On I almost forgot, I think the girl was pregnant too.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 115
isaac the 86 mustang is the first year of fuel injection. and the nose was only for two years 86 and 87. i have a 86 gt.

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 25
hey James L. Do you have an Audi A4, 1.8T?... wasnt sure... im deciding on the 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Ultrasport... seems like a great car... cant decide yet... =\.. if it is the audi.. how is it?.. handling... performance.. etc :D ...

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 116
well think you for that wonderfull story isaac. lol

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3978
"When's the last time you saw a great Japanese car?"

Toyota seems to think that they've had a very exciting vehicle in their history, because they're going retro!!! This gorgeous vehicle is set to bring back some of the classic Toyota nostalgia that we miss oh so much.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/suvs/0505_toyota_fj_cruiser/

ROFL, what's next, a retro Corona?
Upload

If we start seeing these at Barrett Jackson auctions 30 years from now, just go ahead and shoot me.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 26
its funny how this became a car discussion :D...

-James Longo!... where u at!... inform me on the Audi a4! =D

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 699
sorry for not answering your posts. check this site out..... www.scionspeed.com for the tc that pulls 426whp at the whells with stock internals, and an stage 3 turbo.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3293
Hey Ray I dont have it YET:-( I have to sell my jeep first but I did put a downpayment on it:-) man I cant wait I love this car!

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 27
oh... i see... yo if i do get the A4... i want the 2004 Audi A4 Ultrasport package... that Sh*t looks soo nice... look at it... its niiiice.. lloooks better then the s4 in my opinion!!!... :D... have u test driven it or what James?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3050
Personally I like Fred Flinstone's car better. It runs on "natural" power and gives you plenty of exercise.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3301
alright Isaac wanna race:-)! yes man I would never buy a car without driving it first.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 28
hey james L.. i was wondering if the Lexus IS300 5 speed was better overall than the AUdi A4 6 speed... i was wondering if u would know which would be better overal... or if anyone else knew... thanks

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 118
even if thats true theres a lot of cheaper ways to mack that kind of power. what does that turbo kit cost like 5 grand i can build a motor for less then that that will produre more power.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3302
the IS is the cheapest lexus they make. I would go with the audi, now if you were talking about a gs300 then I would change my opinion but they are BIG money!

yelnatsch517
Unregistered guest
Yea, I don't think everyone understands what basslova is trying to say. He said the TC stock engine is capable of HANDLING 400+hp without reinforcement. What is so impossible about getting 400whp through turbos and such?

O yea, there is a big difference between 400hp and 400whp. The reason so many people choose foreign cars over "American muscle" is for the handling. Everyday street use, IMHO, is a lot closer to autocross than drag. You may win in the straight line, but you're gone the second a turn comes up. You just can't defy physics. The bigger the engine, the more it weighs and inertia states that cars with big engines will have crappier handling than smaller cars given they have the same suspension mods ie. coilovers, strut bar, etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Basshd

Post Number: 54
Anyhow ahmm,ahmm, jl audio makes nice speakers the trade off being is the price that you pay.( a recone for a blown 13w7 is around 400 dollars plus shipping, if I remember correctly) there are subwoofers out there that have lower extension capability(avalanche), there are subwoofers out there that have more spl capability(dd 9900 series) there are subwoofers out there that have more linear xmax(adire tumult), but the same argument could be made about zapco amplifiers(there are amplifiers with the same watts or more available at lower cost, hifonics colossus xx), I believe it is about what your priorities are, zapco amps and jl subwoofers are a nice, but albeit expensive combination. Go with what you want and whatever is in what you consider to be your budget, and call it a day.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3990
"O yea, there is a big difference between 400hp and 400whp. The reason so many people choose foreign cars over "American muscle" is for the handling. Everyday street use, IMHO, is a lot closer to autocross than drag. You may win in the straight line, but you're gone the second a turn comes up. You just can't defy physics. The bigger the engine, the more it weighs and inertia states that cars with big engines will have crappier handling than smaller cars given they have the same suspension mods ie. coilovers, strut bar, etc."

Watch some old Trans am racing, it isn't impossible to make an old car handle. They weren't the overweight behomoths they are made out to be, a 65 Mustang weighs less than a 2005 Honda Civic does, even with the cast iron engine and tranny. A 68 440 Charger weighs 3600 lbs, which is less than the majority of Japanese midsize cars out today. You can thank crash test standards for the huge weight of these cars. Most imports are FWD, which sucks for handling in the first place. RWD vehicles also have a much better weight balance than FWD imports do, again, putting handling in their favor. The other imports that are actually worth racing either aren't in America or aren't getting riced out on every corner, instead they are in the hands of professional racers. Watch Grand Am racing? It isn't BMW, Nissan, or even Porsche leading in points for the Grand Sport class. It's the 2005 Mustang.

Silver Member
Username: Daddy_phat_sack

Post Number: 198
GOD THIS IS BY FAR THE BIGGEST THREAD THAT HAS GONE ON THAT IVE SEEN!!!! lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3075
I'm still pi$$ed at that lame Viper designer that ruined it!

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 140
jonathan finally someone who aint a retard these people who drive these rice burners have probly never exp. a real car if they did they woulnt even bother with thos rive burners. and like you said the ones worh having aint even in the us and you can make a muckle car handle they just dont know because they aint never exp. it. and before they open there mouth they should exp.it

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3995
The only real drawback to the handling of musclecars was the fact that most of them are straight unibodies. No biggie, though, connecting the subframes, installing monte carlo bars, export braces, and other fairly cheap goodies get's the handling up to snuff and still doesn't add a lot of weight to the car.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3996
"I'm still pi$$ed at that lame Viper designer that ruined it!"

Can't blame you. Bad time for it, too, cause now the Corvette is just dead sexy, and cheaper.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 150
yeah i knoe i got a 86 mustang with a 306 i built with 450 hp and thats just motor i want to put on twin turbos. this summer. and a cage and for all those people out there who think a muscale car cant handle come miss with my car il show you something and make you cry when i spank your a$$
oooooyeah

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3998
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/98518/
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/42798/

Twin turbo on a Ford 302, 65 Mustang, but same song and dance. 535hp, 620 lb ft of torque, 27mpg highway and 20+ city. The ultimate daily driver :-)

yelnatsch517
Unregistered guest
Nice Jon, but yea I agree on the FWD. I drive a 240sx. It's about 2800lbs and FR. I think the biggest reason people get imports is the ease of obtaining parts for cheap. A used 240sx is about $2000. Throw in $15k in it and you have a 2800lb car with about 600rwhp, although it would suck as a daily driver.

New Civics weigh too much =(. Anywho... I would rather the amateurs stay away from tinkering with cars like the 65 Mustang.

PS. 240sx engine is cast iron as well =).

O yea, JL is good and all, but there are cheaper ones just as good.

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 73
MY brother has an Audi RS6, with a few modifications. NO SLOUCH, I can attest to that.
But its still nothin like sittin in one of my dads mopars back in the day, somethin to be said about big block torque, a unique feeling to say the least.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 154
hell yeah thank god for amecican muscle if it wasent for that even those rice burners wouldnt be her they would be making chear sedans with no power if it wasent for the usa there wouldnt be cars with power

yelnatsch517
Unregistered guest
O yea guys... here are 2 interesting vids of a "weak import" civic.

http://host49.ipowerweb.com/~tunedbyc/videos/cftsidyno.wmv

http://host49.ipowerweb.com/~tunedbyc/videos/civicvssupra.wmv

The first one is one on the dyno and the second is a race against a supra =).

Enjoy guys.

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 155
they might got power but look how much money is in it and how often do you think he can drive it around and how long will that motor last. i had a big block 560 ci in a 72 chevelle and it dynoed atd 990 hp om motor alon then i had a 500 shot of nos. in could drive that car every were and it wouldnt even hurt the motor. just because it makes power dont mean it can last without it breaking and all that power in a small motor how long befor it breaks and look how much more money it cost to build compaired to mine.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3769
a good site is....www.yourcarsucks.net

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 158
nice site sub lol!!!!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3773
lol i designed most of that site

Silver Member

Lousiville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 159
the only reason i hate those kind of cars is bucause they try to hatr on muscle cars like yhere cars are the best, insted of seeing how much difrence is in the two and how much better power you can get from a biger motor they judt think there the greatest and they can kick a real cars a$$

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4002
I don't really see $15k for 600 rwhp as cheap. I could spend half that on a big block and get that number. I have nothing against imports as long as you compare apples to apples. You can't compare a 4 banger with 30 lbs of boost to a naturally aspirated V-8. What if the musclecar guys put 30lbs of turbo on a motor? Results would change. Compare naturally aspirated to naturally aspirated, and turbo to turbo, set things fairly. That's my biggest gripe.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3306
EXACTLY jon I completly agree with you man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us