??::What is the BEST amp for (2) Brahma 12"::??

New To Car Audio
Unregistered guest
I'm purchasing 2 Brahma 12" subs, but I am clueless as to which amp to power them. My budget isn't too great, but I don't want something I will have to replace in a week.

P.S.
Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions for a sub box that fits a 2003 dodge Ram Quad Cab.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 98
how are the subs wired, 2 or 4ohm?

New To Car Audio
Unregistered guest
they have dual voice coils, i haven't bought them yet. i get to choose which ohm i want. whats better 2 or 4 for loudness(spl?) if it even factors in?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 125
i would go w/ the 4ohms b/c you are able to run them at 1 ohm or 4ohm bridged. both of which will get you greater power using one amp.
the brahmas only require about 600-800 watts to reach full excursion (depending on your enclosure). the elemental designs nine1 has been a hot topic as of late.
http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=6&cur=USD

it will give you about 600 watts per sub for 350.00

New To Car Audio
Unregistered guest
Thanx for the info, the nine1 sounds good. However, I just found an Alphasonik PMA2500 to power both. It gives 800w x 2 @ 2ohms (500w x 2 @4ohms)($300). Is it Good enough? Or is it worth putting up the extra $50 for the nine1?
P.S.
I will go with the 4ohm, but what is the difference between 2 and 4ohm?

New To Car Audio
Unregistered guest
I know the difference between 2 and 4ohm is the resistance/impedance thing, but what is the difference sound-wise?
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_3642.html

Bronze Member
Username: Travisj

Post Number: 11
Get the NINe.1. it's worth it in the warranty alone. your covered for 3 years with ed.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 128
great. that will allow you to go w/the 2ohm brahmas and run them at 2ohm.

there is no difference in sound between the two versions. sometimes subs might have different characteristics associated with the impedence, but typically there is no difference.

one example is the mtx 9515 sledgehammer. the 9515A is 4ohm and the 9515D is 2ohm. the 9515A rms is 500-1000watts while the 2ohm 9515D is 800-1000watts. the 4ohm in this instance is slightly more efficient, but i would still not feed either of the 9515's less than 800 watts. so it doesn't really matter.

so just determine the amp you want to choose, like the alphasonic above, and that will determine what configuration sub to purchase.

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 15
sub box selection is extremely limited in your vehicle, unless your willing to give up the back seat. I wasn't too impressed with the under the seat boxes nor the center console ones.

Username: Bmocbarker

KY

Post Number: 10
Higher impedance subs will yield higher QUALITY sound because when you halve the resistance of the amps load, you effectively DOUBLE the amount of distortion! You can get the same SPL from each but you'll need more amp for the 4ohm version!!!

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 142

yeah. the beauty of the human ear is that it (distortion) is not audible below 100hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us