Bridjing an amp, what happends?

Bronze Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 36
when you bridge a 2ch. 4 ohm amp o say 600watt what happends? you get 2x the watts right then what happends to the ohms (this isnt somthing that i am doing at the moment i just would like to know) :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Tim_9872

Post Number: 26
If you bridge a 2 channel 4 ohm amp the impedence will remain the same. The wattage will increase sometimes more than 2x.

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 37
awsome thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1528
most amps, when bridged, cannot accept lower than a 4 Ohm load.
the amp will see half the actual load.
that's why they are 4 Ohm bridged, 2 Ohm stereo stable.

an amp putting out 100W x 2 @ 4 Ohms, will, when bridged, put out the same power to 4 ohms as when running 2 ohms stereo, so 400 watts.

http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 40
my freind had 3 boston competition 10" subs witch nither me or him thought were much good but with his 600w phoenix gold he had them bridjed at i think 1.2 ohms and this was about 2 years ago he has a different car now and differend subs but the same amp still working great

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 41
what is the formula to figure your ohms i forget

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1543
Phoenix Gold amps, at the higher end, are "high current" amps and designed to run abnormally low impedances.
as I said *most* amps won't do that.
Orion's 225HCCA was stable to half an Ohm as well.
Those aren't your average amplifier though. Most people wouldn't pay $600 for an amp rated for 25 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 Ohms.

Bryan:
http://www.bcae1.com/srsparll.htm

Username: The_master

Bellmawr, Nj Usa

Post Number: 9
ohms--get speaker rating--4 ohm --if you paraller wire 2 4 ohm speak you get 2 ohm----now if you wire them in series you double the reistance such as 2 4 ohms wired in series would put a load of 8 ohms on amp---here it is plain and simple--ohm==resistance--the more resistance the more power you need to accomplish the same thing---picture a wall made of brick(8 ohm) punch it--didnt do much but hurt---now wall made of cardboard(2 ohm)your gonna destroy it will a lot less power--

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 47
john i cant understand what you are saying but i already got what ohms resistance is and i know now how to hook up the subs in parellel and sieries and i know what happends with the subs ohms, what my question was is what happends to the ohms on a 4 ohm amp when it was bridged and some one has already told me that the inpeadence stays the same thats all i needed to know :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us