Gain setting: By ear or by matching HU volts?

vickerson
Unregistered guest
Okay i'm confused, i've read that the gain knobs are only used for mathcing the HU's volts and not for volume control. But on JL's site, it says that u shuld listen for distortion and adjust by ear.

Which is the correct method?
I've got a type-r that's getting 200RMS off of a kicker amp and i want it to hit harder. I have the gains at 4V which matches the Alpine HU.. but im still dissapointed in the bass.
Now if i follow the HU matching method, there's really nothing more i can do. but, if i use the "By Ear" method i can probably squeeze a few more Watts into the sub..
What do u guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 159
the type R will handle twice that much "clean" power...you're underpowering it IMO

More times than not if you use the "ear" method you're going to introduce clipping into amp...leave the gains set so they match the voltage output from the HU

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

Post Number: 123
Yeah, I agree with kklagge, I think it would be a good idea to give that Type R a little more juice. I think then you will not be "dissapointed in the bass".

It depends if you have the 2004 model or the 2005 model, do you know?

The '04 model is 300w RMS and the '05 model is 500w RMS. In either case you could probably stand to give it a little more.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Germany

Post Number: 645
What JL meant was set the gains to match the head units rca out, and then turn the gain down till you don't hear any distortion, if any was present.

Bronze Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 34
Sell it all, and take a vacation! No, jk. I agree with them...

vickerson
Unregistered guest
Ahahah Jake.. howd u know i was considering that? heh.. :-)

It's the '04 model. Yeah i know i shuld've left the gains alone..thanks for the advice and clarification guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
I have (2) of the '04 model and they'll handle a lot more than 300rms...I'm giving mine very close to 450rms and they are sounding superb!

vickerson
Unregistered guest
kklagge, is that 450 to each or 450 to both?
Right now, my type-r is on 200RMS and in a generic sealed box.
Do u think it'll help make the bass louder if i get another box? if so i wanna make it a ported one cuz i want it to hit good down low.. or do u think i shuld stay sealed?

Bronze Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 39
Vacation... ah... wish I could know what one of those are like...

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 164
i have a type r 03 taking about 500 RMS probably more seeing its on an mtx thunder 801d, and it pounds like a champ.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
@Vickerson....I'm giving them 450 each in a sealed, downfiring box...If you prefer SQ over SPL then stay with a sealed box...they will hit low enough
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us